What's new
What's new

Darex E90 End mill grinder - tips for relief angle?

Lumberjack

Hot Rolled
Hi guys,

Question, this end mill ginding thing is a bit new to me in general. But how to set cutting angles with some sort of predictability on this machine?
Now it feels more like yeah, thats in the ball park and like this you get more and like that it gets less... (Flutes - Setting the rest for height and distance from grinding point.)

Found this Darex E90 End mill grinder at an auction the other day for a reasonable price.
It´s been standing a few years with almost no use and all parts in place, even the shipping screw lol. Most likely they never became friends with it as some things were not properly assembled. First thing I did was take it apart, clean it up and got rid of the ridiculous stand. Now it sits firmly on rubber pads on a solid steel bench.
I hope things will speed up, first 2-flute took me 2 hours.. lol

Have a nice day!

darex e90.jpg

Place the endmill you want to sharpen in the machine, bring the wheel up to you hear contact, then adjjst the stylus height to make your grinding match, or be slightly more than original. Be sure the stylus is .010 to .015 away from the wheel in both directions(very important). Use good collets, makes a world of difference.

I would start off by carefully leveling the machine. Then use a lathe bit centering level to adjust your stylus to center line with the clearance set to zero.. Then look for a common end mill clearance chart to know what some basic clearance should be for different diameter end mills. Here is a link to an older Weldon chart.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=4465&aid=51991&lid=13261005

when grinding, it's always easier to pull back, while keeping a little pressure down on the stylus.

There are only two stylus positions required for grinding a milling cutter on the E90, fully up or fully down will produce primary and secondary clearances respectively on all size cutters. The Darex web site should have operating instructions.

Back