What's new
What's new

OD/ID grinder recommendations

breakit

Aluminum
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a CNC OD/ID grinder in order to do low stress grinding of a relatively small part we do numerous times. This is a small shaft maybe 5in long and 0.6 down to 0.25in diam at the center. The center part is the location of interest... we want to low stress grind that reduced section with the least material disturbance and best-est surface finish possible. for example a 0.75in long section with 0.5 in radius leading in and out.

Any recommendations? Budget is 80-120k, i'd consider used or new (and could spend less without a problem), and would be most interested in something that can have a gauge or probe on it. ID grinding needs to come eventually but could be opted out.

Is it feasible to do this little hourglass section with a classic universal grinder using some automatic cycle? We really are looking to cut labor out of the picture as much as possible however.

Thanks!

Regrets, but I just don't know what machines are out there these days.

Back when I ran machines at Norton company (1987-1991), there was one Okuma GP44n CNC with flip-down I.D. grinding attachment, and one Kondo CNC cylindrical grinder.

With a thin wheel either machine could do the job you described, though they are on the large size. Okuma still sells their top-quality CNC cylindrical grinders and do have some smaller ones, but I have a feeling only a used one is going to fit your budget.

It might be worth calling and talking to them to be sure.

OKUMA

You have a pretty good sized budget, and small parts meaning you do not need a big machine.

I think you could find a used machine being sold by a new dealer who could do a turn key machine for you.

You would need to find a situation where somebody traded in a machine.

Many dealers will have used or demo machines on the floor.

But since I am not too involved with alot of ID/OD on a high production basis I could not point you in the right direction of who to look for.

Google is your best friend.

Thanks for the replies. I'm on a biz trip this week so checking only a little.

The thing is I have never been exposed to these machines, so don't know what features to look for used. On other machines I've had a better idea. Only thing i really know is I'm committed to making the parts needing the grinding, and can't send them out :eek:

Pixman's link mentions traversing head design. Are the CNC OD/ID grinders not all having a traversing head? I think I'd be good with a manual angle setting.. definitely not another axis for that. Small machine==good since the floor space is fading fast.

What about the Supertec G20P-50CNC Supertec Machinery Incorporated ??
seems like a lot of used dealers sell those (online). Is that a plunge only? i.e. no traverse of the wheel?

or the little "economically priced" Product Series | Okamoto Corporation

or these Micromatic CNC Cylindrical OD & ID Grinders - RSS Grinders & Automation Inc.

I guess I'll start calling dealers soon.. figured I'd try to pull my head out of you know where in order to have at least a somewhat intelligent dialog w/them.

We have an okamoto OGM series grinder and we are very happy with it. Solid mchine that we use on a daily basis.

We have several okamoto surface grinders and they have been very good as well.

Might be worth your while to ask here for someone that currently operates a CNC grinder, in your relative area of the US and offer to take them out to a very nice dinner or go golfing etc... Pick that persons brain, ask them what you need to know and take good notes. You might even consider hiring them to help you discern what machine to purchase.

BTW, I have yet to see a CNC Cylindrical that does not have a traverse and only a plunge grind. I suspect that such a machine does not even exist. Perhaps only as a specialty machine, purpose built.

New Grinder Day

After some looking around, I got a late 90's Weldon AGN3. Unfortunately it's in the shop and I'm on a business trip so I can't play... The ID aspect will be for another day (or another life). On the other hand for my little parts I'm kindof thinking this could be the ideal machine. We'll see.

grinder.jpg

Back