What's new
What's new

Okamoto grinder help.

fixitup

Cast Iron
I just purchased an Okamoto 612 manual surface grinder and have a couple of questions. It has a cable driven ballway table that I want to remove for transport. Can anyone tell me if it is fairly easy to remove and how to do it? Also, the best estimate I can find on weight is between 1650 and 2000 pounds. Is that in the ball park?
Thanks in advance,
Charles

I have a Kent with ballways. Getting it off was just a matter of taking the nuts off the cable ends. And then lifting it off. Note if the numbert of balls in each track, not neccessarily the same. Getting it back on was a little more difficult.Could have used and extra set of hands. The drive pulley on mine had tracks for the cable. Yours may have an oiler, mine uses grease. The manual for the Okamota at school called for grease on the ballways
The head should be supported by a block of wood during transport
Dave

If you're wanting to remove the table purely for way protection during transport, check whether there are facilities for jacking screws on the ways first. I found these on the cross ways of my Jones&Shipman 1400 after taking it apart and transporting it...

That weight range is about right.. to be safe, figure the upper end. Try to get 4 able people to lift and replace the table, to avoid droppping it, or bumping the ways.. Be sure to make a sketch of the EXACT way the drive cable winds up and attaches, or it will not work..
I am assuming you are going to use the bolts that screw in the cast base to lift with.

Okamoto grinder

Thanks for all the help. I have only looked at the grinder one time and didn't have time to study it. It is in fine condition and comes with the Walker chuck and coolant system. I will see if the lifting bolts are there and will make sure to make notes on the cable and ball arrangement. Once the cable ends are free the table should just lift off I assume?
Thanks again,
Charles

Back