What's new
What's new

Okamoto Table Shock adjustment 12-24 ex

Ja(ckass)mes

Plastic
I work A LOT with a 12-24 and whenever there's more than 10 lbs on the chuck it rocks the table on direction change a few tenths. We've had up to 70 lbs in the past with no problem.

While I do have a manual, the engrish is too strong for anyone in the shop and Okamoto pretty much has no idea how this thing works.

Is there any way to adjust the shock on the table hydraulics or is it permanently set to the world's hardest directison change?

I have had a similar thing once. The nut on the hydraulic shaft was too tight where it connects to the table. Udder dan dat, I don't know.

I work A LOT with a 12-24 and whenever there's more than 10 lbs on the chuck it rocks the table on direction change a few tenths. We've had up to 70 lbs in the past with no problem.

While I do have a manual, the engrish is too strong for anyone in the shop and Okamoto pretty much has no idea how this thing works.

Is there any way to adjust the shock on the table hydraulics or is it permanently set to the world's hardest directison change?

On the old 124N series grinders there was a unlabeled screw near the table hand wheel that adjusted the table tarry. The tarry adjustment screw may be hiding someplace else on the EX series machines.

Try looking for the phrase "table reversing shock" in the grinding faults section of the manual.

Robert

my Okamoto 8 x 20A has what Okamoto calls a tarry valve to reduce the shock of reversal. It's a straight blade screwdriver screw just to the right of the cross feed control. I would assume yours should have the same control somewhere if it is a hydraulic machine.

I've found a "tarry positioner" adjustment and instructions in the manuel, but there's no location given. The valve (yv1/2) are inside the casting at the back right of the base. If I find the actual adjuster ill fill y'all in.

Found it, right side of the control cabinet, next to the release switch for over-travel. Clockwise increases shock, counter increases drift. Ever feel really dumb?

why is the valve needed? my grinder has rubber gromets at the connection points. is this one different?

This one has some sort of shock-washer at it's ends, but the tarry is for heavier pieces to let the table slow down before reversing. Otherwise it can tilt on the y-axis from momentum.

why is the valve needed? my grinder has rubber gromets at the connection points. is this one different?

The compliant attachment of the piston rod to the table is there to prevent a misaligned piston rod from moving the table off the ways. The rubber or spring mounting insures that the only force acting on the table is parallel with the table ways. A upward force from a misaligned piston rod would raise the table.

The dwell or tarry time at the end of stroke on a surface grinder is lost grinding time. As Ja(ckass)mes has observed, if the dwell time is too short the return force placed on the table is sufficient to cause the table to rise or to move parts on the chuck.

On cylindrical OD/ID grinders the dwell time is adjusted to eliminate barrel shape geometry on journals and bores.

Robert

Back