What's new
What's new

How do HF dressers work? And grinding wheel questions.

jonathan2jones

Plastic
How do HF dressers work? Has anyone used a vitrified CBN wheel with one? Are they used for resin bonded wheels? What is the difference between green and black silicon carbide wheels?

Yea, a bit fuzzy on this one as well. Are you referring to brake controlled truing devices??

This is what I am thinking when you are talking about CBN resin or Vit bond.

This is info I gathered from the Internet. HF dressers are high frequency rotary dressers for external grinding wheels. They use a diamond plated wheel (which are $$$) spinning at high RPMS to dress a wheel. My interest lies more in how they are operated in comparison to a fixed cluster diamond. What depth of cut, traverse speed and such. What are the advantages? What wheels are they used for? Do they wear less?

As for the wheels, I am interested in learning more about the difference between the green and black silicon carbide wheels. I have heard that the green is premium and from the center core of the firing of the wheels and the black is less premium from the outer core.

I have had every wheel suggested for 440c 56-62 RC. From AL OX to CBN RESIN. I have used black silicon carbide with dressing every part with success in the pasr on different parts. I have also Vit CBN and it gobbled it up. Wheel size is 16" diameter and has 10HP MOTOR. I'm going to stick with what I know unless someone from can share otherwise from experience.

There are so many options, wheels, dressers, ect. I would talk directly with your grinding wheel supplier about this.

Have you tried ceramic wheels on the 440C? Either say a 3m product like from Radiac or Norton SG or Quantum?

I have only used SG wheels but not on a particularly well maintained or operating old J&S 1300X grinding D2 60 RC. It didn't do we'll donI haven't used it again.

Rotating diamond dresser are the best type of dresser out there. My dad ran a ton of them on Reishauer Gear Grinders and he said it really open ups the grain. Longer between dressing and the diamond dressing wheel will last a long time.
Look at this PDF and start at page 36
http://voleks.com/pdf/857/c5710d795aec2666d1d6d27882fc749e.pdf

Also 440c sucks to grind. We have had better luck with the Black Silicon wheels and you will have to dress every part. Also they make diamonds for dressing Silicon Carbide wheels.

We have never had any luck with Ceramic wheels in OD grinding. It takes to much wheel pressure to facture the ceramic grinder to work correctly. They work good for surface grinding were you have solid backing or very rigid setup. OD grinding you just don't have the rigidity.

"As for the wheels, I am interested in learning more about the difference between the green and black silicon carbide wheels. I have heard that the green is premium and from the center core of the firing of the wheels and the black is less premium from the outer core."

Not true. Laughable, but not true. The green wheels and black wheels are different materials for different purposes.
I have ground 440C for hours on end with a Norton 38A wheel with few problems. The only one that was repetitive was the tendency to burn with aggressive DOC or crossfeed. 60 Rc requires a frangible wheel and patience.

Donovan thanks for the info. I think Winterthur is owned by 3m now and I have a rep for them. tdmidget : I thought I was getting a line of BS about the green and black wheels. I think the safest road is the one I well traveled. I finally got someone to confirm it. I have ground hundreds of 440c 60-63rc spindles with a black siC wheel, albeit dressing every piece and comping for diamond wear once the diamond was worn in and repeating on the comps. I used a 1/4 inch cluster diamond. What diamonds are made for black siC? I am learning to realize sometimes sales reps try to sell you what they think you need not what will really be best.

Donovan thanks for the info. I think Winterthur is owned by 3m now and I have a rep for them. tdmidget : I thought I was getting a line of BS about the green and black wheels. I think the safest road is the one I well traveled. I finally got someone to confirm it. I have ground hundreds of 440c 60-63rc spindles with a black siC wheel, albeit dressing every piece and comping for diamond wear once the diamond was worn in and repeating on the comps. I used a 1/4 inch cluster diamond. What diamonds are made for black siC? I am learning to realize sometimes sales reps try to sell you what they think you need not what will really be best.

Look here and read the first 3 paragraphs. I hope this helps. BTW Dessau makes excellent dressing tools.
http://www.dessaudiamond.com/prod_synth.php

What the OP was refering to is a popup ad that has run here on PM. It refers to HF Dressing of Diamond wheels. I followed the link to the site. Just lots of talk about HF dressing, but zip info on the process.

Back