What's new
What's new

Pretty cool grinder

Not heard of the name either, I guess there arn't too many of them over here!
They made a spiffy little rotary surface grinder on this same platform that gear shops covet for sharpening shaper cutters. Also super-nice. But this angling wheel looks unique to me ...

Yep ... I agree the tilt is a good addition and certainly the first I've seen.

... but can't help thinking how much better it would be going to 45° rather than the publishied 30°

I guess you could just using a tilting angle plate ...

John :typing:

That is cool, and would be VERY useful for the work I do. Wish it were closer, and in this country. I'd probably bit into it for $5000CDN be the time it was sitting on my floor. Maybe more. Hmm

They're very well known, and very highly regarded by anyone that has ever used one. They're more smooth than high end silk, and as accurate as anyone has a right to think about. They're built like the proverbial outhouse constructed of masonry, too. It's a simple matter to adjust wheel height in Millionths, even though the graduations are only in tenths. They're far enough apart that it's a simple matter.

The adjustable head was the absolute cat's pajamas back when we all made dies and dovetails on a grinder with great frequency. These days, it is a slight novelty, although I have found use for it infrequently. There is a double toroid attachment that installs on the spindle to set angle like a sine bar. Highly coveted by those that have one.

Sadly, I don't care what they think, it simply is not a 6 x 12. It is a 5 x 10. I'd be hard pressed to let mine leave, but if it ever does Marcus ( Implmex ) will take possession of this one. This machine is just a joy to use, and get's used every week.

And yes, it is Taft Peirce.

Very old photo -
IMG_4624.JPG

They made a spiffy little rotary surface grinder on this same platform that gear shops covet for sharpening shaper cutters. Also super-nice. But this angling wheel looks unique to me ...

I've seen a few of those set up for sharpening shaper cutters. Nice little machines.

Taft-Peirce made some outstanding machinery and accessories. I have seen quite a few different types of items they made, including a very nice compound sine plate and all sorts of other goodies.

In the 1960s ,I hand cranked one of these for 8 straight months. If you made precision stamping dies ,they fit together closely and were held to closs tolerance. I servered my apprenticeship as Ehrhardt toolin St. Louis. We had 15 or twenty of these. They had BALL BEARING WAYS ON ALL THREE AXISES. All of the ways were replaceable.I rebuilt 2 or 3 of them. Edwin Dirnbeck

I rebuilt a number of these they had replaceable hardened and ground Waze I made some parallels from the used parts
44ac5d8a5fef133e9525630cd3b947d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rebuilt 2 or 3 of them. Edwin Dirnbeck

Edwin, I find that interesting to me as I had rebuilt this one, myself. It was quite the learning experience. I really came to respect the men that designed and built them. I believe I posted about it, but I rebuilt the whole thing, top to bottom, and in the process ended up having to MAKE the cross travel bearings as there were none of the proper size available anywhere that was checked. I was very concerned and worried for how it would work out and it turns out that I was concerned for no good reason. The bearings turned out great and the grinder's operation even more wonderful. Having so many in one place while they were used, I have to wonder if you were ever witness to any obvious flaws or shortcoming in these old girls? Any common gripes between the grindhands, about them? Thanks.

Soglad that you asked

Edwin, I find that interesting to me as I had rebuilt this one, myself. It was quite the learning experience. I really came to respect the men that designed and built them. I believe I posted about it, but I rebuilt the whole thing, top to bottom, and in the process ended up having to MAKE the cross travel bearings as there were none of the proper size available anywhere that was checked. I was very concerned and worried for how it would work out and it turns out that I was concerned for no good reason. The bearings turned out great and the grinder's operation even more wonderful. Having so many in one place while they were used, I have to wonder if you were ever witness to any obvious flaws or shortcoming in these old girls? Any common gripes between the grindhands, about them? Thanks.
I am so glad that you asked about the very few objections that I have had with the T.P. grinders.The number one problem is the lack of decent bearings in the handles that are in your hand all day long . After a few weeks of constant use they sqeek and get loose and gum up. The newer models had plastic handles and were a little better. I am retired and acquired one about 10 years ago for almost free. The handles had vexed me all my working life ,so on my personal one ,I redesigned the inside of the handles and fitted 2 sealed ballbearings in all three handles.It was almost as beautiful as your machine and a shop owner made me an offer that I coulnt refuse and I sold it.For doing radius dressing and sloting ect,the wheel guard had to go. As an apprentice I designed and made about 20, more compact wheel guards that could be raised and lowered or removed in seconds.I also didn't like the rack and pinion table drive.Unless they were in excellent shape they would leave chatter marks on your work . I think the cable drive on the reid grinnders is better. No machine is perfect but I think TP was all around the best. Yours is the most stunning one that I have seen. Edwin Dirnbeck

Do these normally have over the wheel dressers?
Or is it necessary to tilt the wheel horizontal, dress, and then tilt back to the work angle?

For dovetails, is there an improvement over using a sine/compound sine chuck?
With any method for dovetails the wheel has to be dressed to the angle or to clear the angle?

There was a point when ebay was new and stuff like that was cheap, I thought owning one could be interesting. But could not figure if it ever would be more convenient.

Presumably, wheel angles through 30° could be dressed without a R & A dresser & then set to the desired angle. Still not sure it would be an advantage?

Gotta be a market since TP seems to have made a fair number.
Must also be a reason no one else did.

smt

Back