What's new
What's new

Quiet down an 8" buffer

pcm81

Cast Iron
Is it possible to have a quiet 8" buffer? With a grinding stone you can add weights to balance it, or dress it with a diamond cutter to make it symmetrical. How would I go about making an 8" buffer less loud an wobbly? Cant just "cut away" the soft buffing discs like it is possible with hard grinding stone by holding a reference point while running it...

Is it possible to have a quiet 8" buffer?

Quiet is "standard", not just "possible". Find out what you are doing or what's wrong with your machine, arbors, buffs, their centres, or your manner of setting them to work and JF fix the cause at source. Noise is only the symptom.

Or if using imports bargain wheels.. i put such a wire wheel on a decent bench grinder and not only did it run loud but also shed wires...buffing wheel might be dressed with a open grinding wheel..perhaps even with a big die grinder...

Or if using imports bargain wheels.. i put such a wire wheel on a decent bench grinder and not only did it run loud but also shed wires...buffing wheel might be dressed with a open grinding wheel..perhaps even with a big die grinder...

I am using:
Import
2 PC 8" X 5/8" Ply Soft Cotton Bench Grinder Buffing Wheels (8BUFF088(2pc) "

These run whole lot smoother than the wheels buffer came with, but sound like these are the wheels you had issues with. Can you recommend good quality wheels? Preferably on Amazon.

My issue was with wire wheels..although I have had issues with china grinding wheels that I put in the dumpster after first try.....If they are not coming apart I would mount a die grinder and hand turn the wheel on the running die grinder wheel to make it run true circle...hopefully at true circle it would not be so noisy...

My issue was with wire wheels..although I have had issues with china grinding wheels that I put in the dumpster after first try.....If they are not coming apart I would mount a die grinder and hand turn the wheel on the die grinder wheel to make it run true circle...hopefully at true circle it wold not be so noisy...

Thanks, Ill give it a try.

I am using:
Import
2 PC 8" X 5/8" Ply Soft Cotton Bench Grinder Buffing Wheels (8BUFF088(2pc) "

These run whole lot smoother than the wheels buffer came with, but sound like these are the wheels you had issues with. Can you recommend good quality wheels? Preferably on Amazon.

Ten years, Jewelry Manufacturing, smaller sizes you seek, we mostly used these folks;

Polishing Buffs - Polishing Laps - Buffing Tools

Back