What's new
What's new

Raising headstock on OD grinder & slitter knife grind

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
Looks like there is an opportunity to grind circular knives that are used in slitting rolls of steel into narrower strips.
The larger ones are 15".diameter my grinder only swings 12" .........would there be any issue with raising the headstock up and grinding below the center line, to get started ?
Thanks
Dave

While I don't think it's really ideal, I worked at a place that did it all the time with no problems. They had a 20" Cincinnati that they made 4" risers for. I'd think weight becomes a major concern if grinding a long shaft of over sized diameter. Also, the wheel being below center will cause weird taper issues if centers are not exactly the same height. Sounds like for what your doing, these issues shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like there is an opportunity to grind circular knives that are used in slitting rolls of steel into narrower strips.
The larger ones are 15".diameter my grinder only swings 12" .........would there be any issue with raising the headstock up and grinding below the center line, to get started ?
Thanks
Dave

I am trying to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

You can make the risers out of Dura-a-Bar and as Dereck says it's best to raise Head-stock & wheel Head. I would also do the Tailstock and that way you can leave them under there. I would mill out pockets in the risers to lessen the weight too. I have seen this in many machines. But they had a rebuilder scrape in the risers for proper alignment. Rich

Back