What's new
What's new

Reid 2-C Surface Grinder Lubricating Wheels

Alex Bartek

Plastic
I just picked up a Reid 2-C surface grinder. While the sliding surfaces look real good, I think it is missing the lubricating wheels which keep the ways of the table, which moves left and right, oiled. When I remove the table, I see 4 wells in the saddle which move the table forward and back, filled with oil. I am guessing that the spring clips which hold the wheels sit in these wells. Is this true?

If true, does anyone know if these parts are available? That 12 page owner’s manual and parts list is rather vague.

It also seems that something could be fabricated easily to do the job, say making the wheels out of some type of plastic. Or I just could be quite foolish and naive.

Does anyone know if the saddle is lubricated in a similar way?

Thanks, Al

Yep, they are both lubed by the rollers in the wells.

Only 2 of my springs were intact. I plan to use some pallet strapping to make replacements.

Thanks, gcrude! Proving a picture is worth a thousand words.

From them the wheels appear to be made of a brass. Their surface also appears to be smooth, that is no designed in pockets or texture to help carry the oil. Is this true?

Thanks, again, Alex

Yes, smooth wheels and they do look to be made of brass. Here are pictures of a spring and a spring/wheel set.

--
Gary

I just got one just like that one. Reid 2c.
I have started cleaning it up and it looks like in the gear box under the ways. that box was made to hold oil for the gears. there in a drain plug in the center of it.
If that is true would you put gear oil or something like way oil in it ?

Knew a fellow who put a ping pong balls in the flat ways side with only having two rollers for a time. Till he fabbed up some new ones. Might be good to check how flat it is so you can decide if and when to scrape it true. I think an oak roller might be a temporary device for the flats and a yo yo design got the Vs.

Back