What's new
What's new

Relation between Cincinnati and german company MSO: any info?

Martin P

Titanium
In Germany there was a company called "Maschinen- und Schleifmittelwerke Offenbach", short MSO. They made cylindrical grinders.
I think this was a company of high regard right up there with Schaudt, Fortuna, Karstens.
It seems that at some point in time they must have done something with Cincinnati, as the machines were then actually labeled Cincinnati - MSO or even later possibly Cincinnati Milacron MSO. I am looking at one just called Cincinnati, but in the manual it says Cincinnati-Milacron (I do not have the manual).
The machines I have looked (pictures) at are from the R50 series, meaning R53, R55, R57, R58.

I presume Cincinnati bought out MSO at some point in time. Anybody know any details?
Who made what machine at what point in time. I cannot imagine the R machines being brought in from the US. What does the R and the number stand for anyways? R could be "Rundschleifmaschine", being cylindrical grinder in german. The number does not seem to be the center distance.
Was MSO sold in the US?
Any info appreciated.

Martin

To answer my peripheral question by myself: the Offenbach archives say that MSO was bought Cincinnati Milacron in 1966 and in 1978 they went belly up and 365 people lost their jobs.
I am still wondering what machines they sold and what sold where.

I ran one of those machines at GM in the early 1990's. It was badged Cincinnati Milacron and was marked Made in Germany. I don't remember what model it was but it was one of the nicest OD/ID grinders I ever ran. The machine we had had a capacity of about 6 x 20 inches. One of the nice features it had was that you could power the wheel about 6 inch away from the work to get it out of your way when you wanted to measure the work. then power back in and hold .000050 on size.

Sono stato rappresentante esclusivo degli abrasivi M.S.O. in Italia collaborando con mio zio, Amerigo Giordano, con la ditta I.L.M.A. Abrasivi di Torino e proseguendo successivamente, in proprio, con la ditta R.A.DA. Abrasivi. Confermo il passaggio della Soc. tedesca alla Cincinnati americana (1966) con successiva cessazione di produzione (1978) e passaggio del marchio M.S.O. alla NORTON che confluirà successivamente nella Saint Gobain francese.
Il marchio M.S.O. pare aver sostituito la dicitura Mayer & Schmidt Offenbach in quanto nomi ebrei. La proprietaria della M.S.O. era una banca tedesca.

Sono stato rappresentante esclusivo degli abrasivi M.S.O. in Italia collaborando con mio zio, Amerigo Giordano, con la ditta I.L.M.A. Abrasivi di Torino e proseguendo successivamente, in proprio, con la ditta R.A.DA. Abrasivi. Confermo il passaggio della Soc. tedesca alla Cincinnati americana (1966) con successiva cessazione di produzione (1978) e passaggio del marchio M.S.O. alla NORTON che confluirà successivamente nella Saint Gobain francese.
Il marchio M.S.O. pare aver sostituito la dicitura Mayer & Schmidt Offenbach in quanto nomi ebrei. La proprietaria della M.S.O. era una banca tedesca.

DAL CERRO G. What is going on with Tacchella.

Also here is something for you guys. GST - Gesellschaft fur Schleiftechnik GmbH - Schleifmaschinenbau, Modernisierung von Werkzeugmaschinen - THE COMPANY

Back