What's new
What's new

Removing id arbor from Landis CH swing down head ....... help needed

lalatheman

Hot Rolled
Have not found a manual for this Landis CH 12X36 OD grinder with ID swing down head.

I am stuck at the point shown in the piciure , in trying to remove the ID arbor.

I removed One nut , where the threads are exposed....dont know it it was the right thing to do...

have grabbed the shoulder by the exposed threads and twisted hard with a wrench on the arbor flats

20170523_172137.jpg

Thanks
Dave

I finally got quill out, using short breaker bars for extra leverage.

It was badly bent with tir of over 1/4 inch......I think the bending locked it in its taper seat ...the bending

was not all on the exposed length extending out but the bend extended down into

the taper. The spindle hand turns very freely its rotation is glass smooth.

The guy that sold it and loaded it was in a big hurry, think the protruding quill got bent in loading .....

next time I am removing any quills before loading

Dave

My internal is Jarno #6 , Headstock and tail are Jarno #9 ...my guess would be that your internal quill

would be the same "family" as your HS and TS taper.

A normal jarno #6 is 3 inches long , ( the OAL of a jarno is always half of the taper # ) but this quill being 2 inches (of taper length)

starts at the large end, large end of a jarno is always the taper # divided by 8 or .750 (which mine is) the small end of a NORMAL

LENGTH jarno is

taper# divided by 10 ,,,,,for a number J6 thats ( .600 ) , but since mine is an attenuated length Jarno6, ( by 2/3 ) the small end is

all jarnos have a taper per inch of .050

Dave

Dave,
My headstock is Jarno 10 and the footstock is Jarno 6. For some reason it never occurred to me the ID spindle could be Jarno too.
Based on your info and Machinery handbook it is #5 Jarno. Thanks for getting thinking outside the box!
JB Bergman

Back