What's new
What's new

Removing Table Taft-Pierce #1 Grinder

SIP6A

Titanium
Removing Saddle from a Taft-Pierce #1 Grinder

Has any one here taken the saddle off a #1 Taft-Pierce surface grinder? I am going through this grinder and the saddle really needs to come off to get all the grit out of it.

Thanks!
Todd

Todd,

I have the same grinder and will be removing the table as soon as I receive the parts manual I ordered on Ebay. If it has any relevant information, I will let you know.

In the meantime if anyone else can help I would love to hear from them.

Cool little grinder isn't it?

Chuck
Burbank, CA

I've got one disassembled in my garage - bought it in pieces. Do you want any pictures?

The saddle will lift off but I believe you will have to remove the handles and shafts first.

Paul

Thanks guys!

When I made this post I headed it about removing table I meant saddle

Chuck: To remove the table you take off the table clamp nut. That is the Knurled nut to the right of the chuck on the top of the table. Then you can just lift the table off. Thanks for the offer of the manual I have a copy and it is of limited usefulness.

Paul:
After posting I went back and removed the handles and found that you are correct the saddle did lift right off.

And yes they are cool little grinders. Ever see a Taft-Pierce #2? Surface grinder This is a grinder that T-P brought out in the late 60's that had .000010 divisions on the down feed:willy_nilly: If you want to a photo of one Mike Kandu has one in his eBay store for only $17,000.00

Those cool micrometer adjustments were available on the model 1 as well - mine has them:D I'm not sure if the resolution is 10 or 25 millionths - of course unless I temp control the shop its more braging rights.

The mechanics for the adjusters are a nice simple design - as I noted I got mine in pieces and the only thing I really have done to date figure out how the adjusters work and get the mechanism working for the tilt head.

Its waiting till I finish putting the Monarch back together.

Paul

Back