What's new
What's new

Socket to shave stainless steel rods

doug954

Plastic
I'm really new to your forum I just figured you would know best, I have some very thin stainless steel rods I like to round off the ends to not be sharp when I cut it. Do they sell any type of drill bit or socket bit I can use to accomplish that, the rods and not more than an eighth of an inch I just want to round off the edges so when I put it near to metal it doesn't scratch it.

Hey thank you so much for answering, what I was looking for a socket I could attach to my drill bit?

how long are the pieces of rod? if short enough, chuck them in a drill and run them against a drum or belt sander. for that size, it will take 6 seconds per.

you aren't likely to get a nice dome with a cutter, chip load per cutting edge, surface speed near center, torque transmittable through small diameter workpiece, etc etc.

sand, two grits if needed, followed by scotchbrite if desired.

cheers, and good luck!

Gesswein is a great call for cup burrs, but I always found them to be marginal even on karat gold for the above reasons, on stainless, most likely .. not gonna work after the first one.

drill doctor is for holding a fixed (or limited) angle(s), not even that good for that. for a radius, no help at all.. not a bad initial thought, tho, swatkins..

I'm really new to your forum I just figured you would know best, I have some very thin stainless steel rods I like to round off the ends to not be sharp when I cut it. Do they sell any type of drill bit or socket bit I can use to accomplish that, the rods and not more than an eighth of an inch I just want to round off the edges so when I put it near to metal it doesn't scratch it.

Rounded or not the stainless will scratch anything softer it touches.

Do you have one or many of these to do and what is the application of the part?

Rounded or not the stainless will scratch anything softer it touches.

Do you have one or many of these to do and what is the application of the part?
I'm using it to de-clump coffee in a portafilter holder of an espresso machine. As you can tell its very thin
Nuvo-Triangle-Flat-Whisk-Stainless-Steel-Professional-Kitchen-Korea-Whisks-9.5-D1.jpg

I'm using it to de-clump coffee in a portafilter holder of an espresso machine. As you can tell its very thin
View attachment 196429
Holy crap I remember when some sort of N-S-E-W thing with a toothpick was the deal, now they're making specific tools. [emoji23]

As for advice on your part just use a cup burr from Gesswein, oughta do a few pieces fine.

Check back in a year or two when the next rage is on; maybe some vibratory sorter or god knows what.

And if you're up for a good shot in a hurry just nutate your tamper spin to polish and pull the shot. I'm the barista at our workshop with an Olympia pumper (lever just doesn't cut it with 4 coffee addicts), two of my 'clients' are Northern Italians from Illy region and they only drink if I pull.

Back