What's new
What's new

Studer RHU500

dan1522

Plastic
Recently acquired a Studer rhu500 cylindrical grinder which has been laid up for years, after changing the oils I started it and there is a large oil leak from the main taper bearing on the spindle, after removing the grinding wheel you can see two annular groves in the end of the bronze bearing the first has an oil return drilling while the second has four holes at the bottom to drain oil that has made it that far, there is no seal here and very little room for one. The spindle seems to be set ok with no obvious play or ware, The drain hole is clear, has anyone had this problem?
I know this is an old grinder but does anyone have an internal grinding attachment for one?

Does it still leak after running awhile? My thought is that when it was laid up the spindle was just filled with oil. When you started it up you just pushed out all this excess oil.

As for an ID grinding attachment your going to have much better luck finding one in Europe than you will here in the states.

Could the grooves and drain holes be a labyrinth feature to keep coolant out the spindle bearings? That is what is sounds like to me and my Type 1 has the same type of arrangement.

what controls how much oil is fed to the bearing? On my Norton, if the lube oil flow to the bearing ( more than about 10 drops/ minute is too high, oil will leak from the spindle and run down the headstock. Just something to check- hydrostatic bearings don't require a huge amount of oil

Back