What's new
What's new

Surface grinder dust collection point, wheel or table?

capocoreyollo

Aluminum
Yet another surface grinder dust collection question...Although less about the collection system and more about where to collect it from. Just picked up a Boyar Schultz 612 with a missing wheel cover. Being as I have to make a new one, I was thinking I could start to incorporate a dust collection system to the machine. Looking through the interwebs, I see dust collection systems from wheel guard and also hood like systems mounted at the far left of the table.

Which one is better? Would a little of both be ideal? I suppose going wet would be a good way to eliminate the dust, but I wont be doing much grinding to warrant a coolant system design/build. How to you folks feel about it?

My J&S collects it both from the wheel hood and a spout on the "spark output" side of the wheel. Collects anything fine enough to become air born, big bits still land on the far side of the table, but its not fine dust as such just the coarsest bits with enough mass - velocity to escape the air flow. You would need a lot of air flow to capture 100% far easier just to capture all the fine - lighter stuff removing any dust hazard, whilst still letting the big swaft land on the catch area of the table.

I would use this opportunity to make a liquid coolant attachment with a simple recirculating pump and filter. Dry grinding is not the optimal process and hard on the wheel as well as on the workpiece...and a source of nasty dust that cannot be eliminated. Dry surface grinder and the area around them are always covered in a layer of dust, even with best dust collection.

^ not going to disagree with that, larger grinding jobs i have oftern wished i had coolant, That said i only use the grinder say once a fortnight tops, its sat since early january currently unused, coolant would have gone off by now almost for certain!

I Often find for small simple tool shaping - sharpening s were im removing practically nothing. Dry grinding for certain things is nice, yes not optimal for absolute pre-scion, but grinding die head chases and a lot of other simple low precision tasks i do with mine you would not want to do wet - deal with the clean up mess from that either. So it does have its place.

^ not going to disagree with that, larger grinding jobs i have oftern wished i had coolant, That said i only use the grinder say once a fortnight tops, its sat since early january currently unused, coolant would have gone off by now almost for certain!

I Often find for small simple tool shaping - sharpening s were im removing practically nothing. Dry grinding for certain things is nice, yes not optimal for absolute pre-scion, but grinding die head chases and a lot of other simple low precision tasks i do with mine you would not want to do wet - deal with the clean up mess from that either. So it does have its place.

That's my thinking. I may go a month or so without using the grinder so i'd imagine my coolant would be sitting around a lot. Wouldn't be much a fan of the clean up ether. Also wont be doing a lot of grinding in general, some little hobby jobs here and there.

I'm leaning towards a collection point on the wheel guard, in front of the wheel on the business end. And if I find its not enough( i think it should be plenty, most of my mess probably coming from dressing) i'll throw another collection point on the table guard.

Thanks everyone!

I currently have a shopmade pickup on the end of the table. And it works surprisingly well. It uses a shop vac with a spark collector in the line. Still using plastic hose. Not the best choice of material for the hose but no melting after 4 years of use.

Next version will pick up at the wheel, but I'd want a better hose to connect with, that close to the sparks.

A pickup at thr rear of the wheel, makes more sense than a pickup at the front of the wheel cover. IMO

I currently have a shopmade pickup on the end of the table. And it works surprisingly well. It uses a shop vac with a spark collector in the line. Still using plastic hose. Not the best choice of material for the hose but no melting after 4 years of use.

Next version will pick up at the wheel, but I'd want a better hose to connect with, that close to the sparks.

A pickup at thr rear of the wheel, makes more sense than a pickup at the front of the wheel cover. IMO

By front I mean left side when facing the grinder, which way are you speaking? I was thinking some 2" galvanized steel hose from McMaster

I have been selling dust collection for over 20 years, the photo is a great method of collecting the dust, you want to try to capture as close to the wheel as you can before the dust goes airborne. I have mounted hoods on the wheel guard, but the weight of the hood could cause vibrations if you have hold your tolerances. The other method on small surface grinding tables is to create a box type hood at the guard at the end of the table and attach a hose to the top. But this hood is perfect, you might have to adjust the height of the hood off the table depending on the material thickness to make sure all the dust is going into the hood. AER Control Systems has great small dust collectors, check out Home - AER Control Systems & Filtration and look up the Dust Cab 800.

Back