What's new
What's new

Which of these grinding wheels would be most the most useful?

ballen

Diamond
My Studer RHU-450 cylindrical grinder came with this Elbe wheel already mounted on a hub. It's 300 x 25 x 127mm (12" x 1" x 5") aluminium oxide, 80 grit, G hardness, very open:

attachment.php

I am almost finished modifying two more hubs to fit the machine. I have three wheels that will fit. Which two would be the most useful complement to the one above?

Wheel A is this, from Winterthur in Switzerland. It is 300 x 25 x 127mm, Aluminum Oxide, 80 grit L 5/6 VSR (I think that means L hardness, vitrified bond).

attachment.php

Wheel B is the same grade and grit, also from Winterthur, but 10mm wide, so 300 x 10 x 127.

Wheel C is this one from Norton, 300 x 25 x 127mm. It is Aluminium Oxide 120 grit, JVS, which I think is J hardness, vitrified bond:

attachment.php

So if you could mount and balance two of these last three wheels, to complement the Elbe one shown at the top, which ones would you pick? This is all for one-of-the-kind work and repairs, no regular parts or pattern. I am just starting to learn to use a cylindrical grinder, and have almost no experience.

None of them. The grit is too fine unless you are using it to heat the shop. For the work you describe an A46 H ot J hardness would be ideal.

that depends on the work you are doing, if you are knocking .002" (.05MM) off a poorly turned 2” Ag machine power take off shaft, then no, those wheels suck, but if you have to take .0002" (.005MM) off a spindle journal that’s running in a hydrodynamic bearing then the 120 is as rough as you want to go..

Last edited:
out of what you posted- for general grinding the 80 - G or the 80-L

but as others mentioned- it all depends on you specific application.

Back