What's new
What's new

Use of magnetic chuck - what happens to the swarf?

Damien W

Stainless
When work is surface ground supported by a magnetic chuck even when coolant is used would the flow of coolant dislodge the ferrous particles from the attraction of the magnet?

How is clean up achieved and would coolant be conducive to corrosion under the mag chuck?

I read or was told ( don't remember which) that bi-carbonate of soda, sodium bi-carbonate, baking soda can be used in water as a coolant for grinding. A tutorial document says that you can use an emulsion of oil in water or straight oil, plain water or a soda water solution.

There are positive attributes in the various options not the least of which would be cheapness in the case of water or soda water. Can members advise what choices were made in their working environment?

When work is surface ground supported by a magnetic chuck even when coolant is used would the flow of coolant dislodge the ferrous particles from the attraction of the magnet?

No, you will still have magnetic particles on the chuck.

How is clean up achieved and would coolant be conducive to corrosion under the mag chuck?
Rubber squeege (or hand wipe) to start with, then absorbent wipe, then clean hand. Corrosion depends on type of coolant and how well your chuck mount is sealed.

Don't know anything about soda coolants...

Damien,

These days the soda mixes have better substitutes, I use a soluble grinding oil, if you send me an email with your address I'll call in with a sample when next in Brisbane,
Cheers
Bob

Rust formation under the mag. chuck

I've read that you can grease the bottom of the chuck before mounting it to the grinder table to reduce the amount of coolant that get trapped between chuck and table. What about mounting the chuck and then using plumbers puttly to seal any gap betwwen the chuck and table? Never hardens, waterproof, fills small gaps., etc.

I've read that you can grease the bottom of the chuck before mounting it to the grinder table to reduce the amount of coolant that get trapped between chuck and table. What about mounting the chuck and then using plumbers puttly to seal any gap betwwen the chuck and table? Never hardens, waterproof, fills small gaps., etc.

Even a thin film of grease takes up room and will not give the ultimate firm contact with the table, so I would not do that.

The plumber's putty is good if you want to seal.

Back