What's new
What's new

Used Kellenberger 1000U

Jmich60

Plastic
Hello, I am in the search for a used Kellenberger 1000U ID/OD grinding machine. Ive located one in York Pa. and am likely going down there at some point to check it out. It is under power so I can see it run. My question is , what should I be most concerned with in inspecting a used machine? What can I look at to give me the best determination as to the machines value and reliability. It is a 1981 model, and appears well used. are there any telltale signs to look for abuse? I dont have a lot of experience w ID/OD machines, so Ill appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks
John

I think the question for the owner of the topic is not relevant, but for those who will read it I will answer
I have 2 of these machines, and one of them I rebuilt to the smallest detail.
So, what to look at when buying a Kellenberger 1000u \ 600 u
The most important thing is the condition of the spindles and guides.
You need to remove the guards on the sides of the guides, and move the table to the left and right to see that there was no scuffing, ideally the remains of scraping.
Check the tailstock quill, it is on the balls, that there was no play.
Next, check the play and runout of the work spindle and grinding spindle.
Look at the overall condition of the machine, so that you do not go anywhere with a chisel and hammer.

In general, if you do not understand the machines, you should not inspect such expensive machines by yourself.

If possible have them grind a demonstration part for you that is as long as the machine's travel. Smaller is better, so as small in diameter as is reasonable for the length. Check it for straightness and roundness.

Back