What's new
What's new

3D printed Keychain/bottle opener

jmhoying

Hot Rolled
A friend received this Tungsten key chain at the GE R&D facility. The details on the interior webbing are amazing.

3Dprinter.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

When we bought our Renishaw AM-250 DMLM the test build file was a bottle opener like that one. Now we have about 50 floating around the factory. I don't understand why these $800,000 machines don't send something a bit more exotic when you buy it.

Wow; that is a really LOUSY 3D print.
I'm surprised they had the stupidity to use something so awful as a promotional tool.

To put that rather controversial remark into perspective:
I engaged the services of two 3D print houses in the last 4 years with projects to DMLS for me (that's Direct Metal Laser Sintering for those unfamiliar with the term).

Neither was capable of doing a satisfactory job, and the process had to be abandoned for both projects because of poor surface finish, but both were still way way better than the shyte I see here.
They were run on EOS machines.

Fast forward to last summer; I was approached for some finish machining on some DMLS parts that came from a company in Quebec, Canada.
They were AMAZING, absolutely brilliant by comparison to anything I'd seen before.
I was elated and depressed all at the same time.
I could see the doom of elaborate machined prototypes staring me in the face, and I'm a pretty tough critic about these things.

So I have to confess, I'm pretty unimpressed with these samples, but NOT with the process.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix ? Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining
Clarus Microtech

Wow; that is a really LOUSY 3D print.
I'm surprised they had the stupidity to use something so awful as a promotional tool.

To put that rather controversial remark into perspective:
I engaged the services of two 3D print houses in the last 4 years with projects to DMLS for me (that's Direct Metal Laser Sintering for those unfamiliar with the term).

Neither was capable of doing a satisfactory job, and the process had to be abandoned for both projects because of poor surface finish, but both were still way way better than the shyte I see here.
They were run on EOS machines.

Fast forward to last summer; I was approached for some finish machining on some DMLS parts that came from a company in Quebec, Canada.
They were AMAZING, absolutely brilliant by comparison to anything I'd seen before.
I was elated and depressed all at the same time.
I could see the doom of elaborate machined prototypes staring me in the face, and I'm a pretty tough critic about these things.

So I have to confess, I'm pretty unimpressed with these samples, but NOT with the process.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix ? Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining
Clarus Microtech

Any idea what machine the company in Canada was running?

Here's my one from Fraunhofer institute:

opener2 copy.jpgkeys copy.jpgopener copy.jpg

I bent the end a bit prising something open, rusted steel shaft, using it as a lever. Surprisingly tough but not remotely unbreakable, would be a one-handed job to take the end off with a vice.

Works great as a bottle opener, within design limits though, and light as a feather. Compared to my previous forged aluminium one, the weight difference was remarkable.

Direct-metal titanium is amazing stuff.

Back