What's new
What's new

3D printing fixtures. Surprisingly effective for small run work.

Steelphil

Aluminum
So this past week I tried something new out.

I have a couple castings I machine a few features on, you can read more about them here: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/how-should-i-hold-these-castings-278570/

This time around it's a new rev of the casting, same general swoop shape, just a bit longer, 4 holes, and a different feature along the "tail" end. Ultimately the same challenges as with the first part.

The way I ended up attacking the earlier fixtures was a slab of bondo, and epoxy with a similar clamping setup as in the below pictures.

I decided to try out some fixturing with the new Makerbot 3D printer the design guys have been playing with the last few weeks. I drew up a negative pocket for the casting to sit in, some holes along the back of the block to allow for bolts to anchor the print to a plate, and set it up to print and left for the weekend. I gotta say it's pretty cool to show up Monday morning to most of my fixturing printed and ready to toss in the machine!
I took a piece of plate, cut a shallow pocket the size of the print block to hold it in the center of the plate, and some tapped holes that related to the holes in the print. I ran some 1/4-20's down the holes in the plate, and epoxied around them to anchor the print to the plate. A little bondo along the top and I was good to go.

This method worked like a charm, it was quick, got er done and got me onto the next thing, but I definitely learned a lot from this. I realize this is a light duty application, but hey, when you got the job for it, it works great.

2014-08-20 10.30.43.jpg
2014-08-20 10.30.51.jpg
2014-08-20 11.43.53.jpg
2014-08-20 11.43.57.jpg

This is definitely cool. We have a 3D printer at the new job, but it's in the engineers' department. I think I can show some folks this application and convince them to grant the machine shop access :D

I've used ours to make very small vacuum fixtures to do small flat parts...
Works pretty good if you have the right parts for it.
Just another solution...

Back