What's new
What's new

3D printing PDMS, looking for a low end commerical grade, realiable machine

landm1

Cast Iron
Hello,

Is there a decent 3d printer that can print PDMS material? Looking for something in an low end industrial grade that we can upload files to from solid works and reliable.

Mike

The application(finished produce) involves processing fluids, the surface needs to have properties, from what I have learned, from PDMS. I guess they are using stereo-lithography but it is slow.

The application(finished produce) involves processing fluids, the surface needs to have properties, from what I have learned, from PDMS. I guess they are using stereo-lithography but it is slow.

"The surface needs to have properties" What do you mean by this? strength properties? corrosion resistant properties?

if by "using stereo-lithography" you mean the 3D model, you wont be getting away from that cheaply. most printers still require an STL file from what I've seen (Although I may be wrong, it's happened before)

PDMS is a type of material. The properties are PDMS interaction with other chemicals, no questions concerning material type. Unless I am missing something 3D printing is done using a 3 axis printer, stereo-lithography is a laser converting liquids into solids.
What we are looking for is a 3D printer that can process PDMS material?

PDMS is a silicone. It basically congeals to shape when heated up by a laser via stereo-lithography.

The cheap 3D printers typically use a string of thermoplastic material -- a sort of guided hot melt glue gun -- so those most likely won't be running a silicone.

If there's a cheaper/faster process from someone other than 3D Systems, Terry Wohlers (Google him) would know.

Back