What's new
What's new

Formlabs Form 2, 3D Systems CubePro, or Stratasys Mojo ? Which would you buy and why

swamp dweller

Cast Iron
So all I know about 3D printing is you make a 3D model and send it out to someone with a printer and you get parts back that look like your model.Easy!
Today I was tasked with finding a 3D printer so we can do the printing in house. Budget is $3000.00 but I'm not sure if I can get something that will print prototypes suitable for testing for that price. I know the ones listed above all list for more than that but I think I can talk them into spending the extra money if the quality of the end product warrants it. I guess the question is,is the quality difference between these and lower priced printers make it worth while. Does anyone have any experience with any of these printers and if so give me pros and cons?
We've had prints made at Protolabs and are very happy with the sizes and finish on the parts they printed for us. I doubt the printers they use are within my budget though.
Thanks for any help.

I am very interested to see if people have experience with some of these similarly prices printers. As in printers between the industrial and hobbyist. We have been looking to get a small 3d printer to put in the office, mostly for customer samples and some smaller projects around the shop. Was looking at the form2 yesterday, good to hear that you did not like it.

Anyone have experience with the makerbot family?

I have experience with RepRap printers (Hobby printers often based off of MakerBots and other higher end hoby printers) I own 2, one of which will not be named because of how old and useless it is by today's standards. The one I would recommend is my Wanhao Duplicator i3, it cost me $600 CAD and will print 200mm by 200mm by 180mm (I believe, although the largest I've printed has been about 175mm by 175mm by 150mm

The printer works very well for models and small functional devices. although it is a RepRap, which means you need to have an understanding of how 3D printers work already, and the plastic you are using. I print in PLA, its stiffer than ABS, but easier to print with.

depending on your size requirements, Wanhao makes a larger printer as well, haven't taken a look at that one yet.

I've seen a Makerbot working once.
I've seen a lot of Makerbots...

My makerbot 2 has been solid.

We have a Form2 at the jewelry store, slow process but amazing results straight to castable wax. Few other MB knockoffs for quick prototypes.

Definitely get a Zortrax, unless forwhatever reason you are opposed to FDM printers.

Absolutely flawless prints for the past 1-2 years and it keeps getting better.

Material is always cheap, which you won't get with a formlabs or stratasys printer.

Back