What's new
What's new

Hi, new to this forum and the 3d printers have my interest

PGreuse

Plastic
Hi, everyone. I am not a machinist. More of a fabricator. The 3D printing has sparked an interest though. I am always tinkering and building stuff and this looks like something useful. Some question maybe some of you can help out with:
1. Where can I find useful information on different aspects of it, google doesnt help experience. gives you all the highest advertising companies and too much to look through.
2. What would I be getting myself into with equipment? I see the printer is the main component but as to software to run it. Is there better options? Does one company sell a printer/software kit that would be a good starting place? I dont want to waste money where I cant upgrade and would have to buy all new components and software.
3. My computer skills are decent I can figure most programs out by reading, my machinist skills are slack ing. As much as I know about machining is I do alot of business/house cleanouts and forclosures and come across tooling and equipment. I have a little enco mini lathe that i turn basic parts on. But not a lot of cnc experience.
4. Do I need to be a machinist to learn how to use the 3d printer software or is this something I could do without cnc knowledge?
Thanks for your help.

1. lots of research online.
2. 3d printers range from 500$ up to about a million. Some come with software others don't this question is very very general
3. Not sure what your asking.
4. No You don't need to be a machinist to run a 3d printer however being able to read an understand the basics of g code will be useful.

Because you mentioned enco im going to assume your talking hobby grade maybe even open source stuff.
Check out : RepRap Forums

Sorry was writing fast on phone. I see what your saying.
im looking for something I can make a part on 12"x6" I want to use it with a 3d scanner and mastercam or software like that. I am trying to print a protype part to use for looks and feel. To see if it would work and to make other creative things . I can internet search all day. I'd rather have people's perspective on their equipment and what they think would be a good decent printer. I see a lot of little 3d printers and what ive read has been bad reviews and people having to baby sit it the whole time its printing.
I did check out reprap. Lots of stuff on it. Especially what people can do with one is really cool.

#2 is most improtant!

I'll try to answer concisely and sincerely.

1. Solid Concepts and RedEye are among some service companies that have good descriptions of the different processes and materials. No need to rush out and buy one, they are improving daily and there are plenty of places that will make your part for a reasonable price.

3D printing is just like most any "new" technology, the advertizing department is decades ahead of engineering. I am co owner of three 3D machines and believe me they are just like any other machine where maintenance is the key to success.

Printers are like house paint and PCs, the quality and performance is proportional to the price. That's not a perfect statement but it is a good guide.

2. The first step is to be able to create a 3D model. I Recommend SolidWorks, not cheap but IMHO the best that is out there. Investment in this software and learning will serve you for a lifetime, it is the foundation of ANY design your mind can conceive regardless of the manufacturing process.

I have created hundreds of parts I will never have time/money to make in reality because I can simply sit at my PC and click into a solid model file instead of just a thought.

3. Forget about being a machinist for now, concentrate on #2 the rest will fall in place.

4. No, you need not be a machinist. You do need spacial ability and understand materials and their properties. Being a machinist may actually hinder your imagination because you can make shapes in printed and molded parts that are impractical or impossible in machining. If you have any computer skills at all you will be fine.

The most important things you need are imagination and drive

Best regards,
Bernie

Back