What's new
What's new

I do 3d printing and scanning

BonzoShields

Plastic
I scan parts and send the files back to ppl to run straight off their CNC. I also print files for people. I have 5 3d printers. I also rewind electric motors. If I can be of any help to any one here feel free to ask me. I'm always here to give advice.

Bonzo needs to edit his profile location. It needs to be displayed on your posts in the upper right corner (per the rules).

I have a solidoodle 4, a solidoodle 3, two Makerbots replicators,- Mendel reprap and a prussa i3.
My scanner is the latest Next Engine model. Scans at about 25 microns of tolerance. PM me for details.

What printers do you have, and what is the accuracy of your scanner (also which model)?

You may want to move this thread to the classified section. Don doesn't like when people advertise in the regular forums.

I found NextEngine a pain to get enough accuracy to use for machineable parts. Are you using stock software for processing point cloud data? Anyway good luck with this I'm glad somebody is able to make it work.

I had to buy the upgraded HD software before I could get decent scans.The regular scan studio was terrible. The scan always came out almost like it was pitted. Or when you would mesh it would deform. such a pain. Still got yours?

I found NextEngine a pain to get enough accuracy to use for machineable parts. Are you using stock software for processing point cloud data? Anyway good luck with this I'm glad somebody is able to make it work.

It is plus or minus around .0009. I did the same scan on a cube 15 times, printed it, measured it and took the average. Then I did it again with a sphere and the results were the same. About the only way to truly test something like that.

+/- .0005 is pretty damn accurate.

I bet its plus or minute 25 microns which is pretty damn good still.

It is plus or minus around .0009. I did the same scan on a cube 15 times, printed it, measured it and took the average. Then I did it again with a sphere and the results were the same. About the only way to truly test something like that.

So you made something plastic, and measured it and came within +.0009" every time?

So your 1" plastic cube was:

1.0009"
.9991"

You must be highly skilled.

I already knew what the tolerance on the printer was. So how ever much it varied on top of that tolerance I took out for the scanner. The printer only goes down to .1 mm layers and I had already tested its accuracy at its most detailed slic3r setting several times. Probably shoulda explained that in more detail.

So you made something plastic, and measured it and came within +.0009" every time?

So your 1" plastic cube was:

1.0009"
.9991"

You must be highly skilled.

Would this unit be able to scan a guitar body and neck ? This would be two pieces Body being about 18.X14.X 1-3/4 thick and the neck is about 23 inches long X2 inches wide the thickness varies from 1.00 down to 1/2 at the peg head. Would it then produce a 3D model ? I don't know much about this stuff but I have a guitar project in mind but first want to create models of a specific instrument I have already done by hand.

Ron

yeah It would. I've scanned some fairly large pieces.

Would this unit be able to scan a guitar body and neck ? This would be two pieces Body being about 18.X14.X 1-3/4 thick and the neck is about 23 inches long X2 inches wide the thickness varies from 1.00 down to 1/2 at the peg head. Would it then produce a 3D model ? I don't know much about this stuff but I have a guitar project in mind but first want to create models of a specific instrument I have already done by hand.

Ron

I already knew what the tolerance on the printer was. So how ever much it varied on top of that tolerance I took out for the scanner.

Accuracy shouldn't be confused with repeatability. Both are important, but in the world of 3D printing, which entails a lot of one-offs, accuracy is more important.

Last edited:
Bonzo,

Is there still a small steam locomotive on display in Marion? I used to have relatives who lived down there and I remember seeing it there, but that was 30 years ago.

Anyways, what is the capacity that you can scan and what is the largest you can print? I may have some items that I want to have foundry patterns made for.

Still got yours?

I only ever used it at a local Maker Space to evaluate accuracy and workflow; never actually bought one. I found David Laserscanner software a lot better and a lot easier to work with. To be perfectly honest with you, my intent was to do exactly what you're doing and try to offer reasonably priced scans aimed at manufacturers and prototypers. Other projects were a better fit for the skills and interests I had at the time, though.

Send me a PM if you want to know more, I'm happy to share what I found in about 6 months of preliminary research.

Back