Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for Beginner 3D printer

I'm looking for a beginner 3D printing Kit. I am looking to learn how to print custom gaskets. Where do you recommend I start with a budget of around 5k?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you looking to print in plastic or metal?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got a Dremel 3D printer from Home Depot in my office and I absolutely love it for making prototype assemblies for automation equipment. Got it for $400 on Ebay (1000.00 new). The printing software is very easy to use. Just save your CAD file as a .stl, open it in the software, orientate, scale, and choose your build parameters (layer thickness,density,etc.) Very user friendly, but still very capable. PLA only, but for my use its great. I prefer it over the CubeX printer we have in the main office that cost $4000 and has print errors left and right.

4. Likes gkoenig, Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work for a cutting tool supplier but we have a sister company that's specifically for 3D printers (Hawk 3D Proto) and from what I've seen of their range the best for the 'beginners' is one of their Airwolf printers as they have some the high precision ones which are the higher end of the price range but then you have the printers for the new starters too which are a lot cheaper! Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Make" magazine recently published their December/January issue which covers hobbyist 3D printing machines. They seem to do this once every year and although their tested machines go for much less than $5,000 it is worth reading, especially if you are shopping for one now. They also tested a couple of liquid resin machines as their price has come way down and they offer superior surface finish and fine detail ability.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have heard and seen good things about Dremel, seems easy to use and has great price point. Then again I'm just looking to get something to get my feet wet, and the less I spend the less the wife is gonna chew my ass.

Just FYI, there was a great article in Modern Machine Shop (I think). Detailed how a Co. used the additive manufacturing process to make a custom very thin jet type nozzle to evenly distribute coolant in an I.D. grinding operation. The really neat bit was that it contained internal fins to direct flow, would have been very difficult to make it any other way due to small size. Do not recall what make of machine it was other than it was a metal deposition machine.
    In closing it seems that with this emerging technology you need to have a 3D printer sitting there. That way you will have the capability and probably find more uses than one would think. Plus who doesn't want a new toy???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rhoward View Post
    "Make" magazine recently published their December/January issue which covers hobbyist 3D printing machines. They seem to do this once every year and although their tested machines go for much less than $5,000 it is worth reading, especially if you are shopping for one now. They also tested a couple of liquid resin machines as their price has come way down and they offer superior surface finish and fine detail ability.

Randy
    But do your own research. The printer I use had some mistakes in the specs and features. I suspect that their reviews are based on press releases and brochures more than actual use.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been looking at getting into 3-D printing for awhile, but did not want to throw down a large amount of money for something I wasn't so sure about. In the beginning I was reading about open-sourced RepRap to learn the ropes in hopes of getting one for cheaper than $1000. That was about two years ago and they were still at $5-600.

Recently a co-worker told me his wife got him a full DIY kit of the "Prusa" RepRap model - one of the most common and well-known with respectable accuracy and print area. He said it was outstanding for a beginner to learn with.

Shipping from their U.S. Warehouse I purchased mine for $199 and included 1 spool of PLA and 1 spool of ABS. Assemble with the instructions and then start tinkering with the settings to optimize - this is where you really 'learn' 3-D printing. IMHO for $199 if you are learning you can't go wrong - and there are plenty of websites with designs improvements for Prusa i3 that will take your simple DIY kit to the next level.

Look for "Sunhokey Acrylic Reprap Prusa i3 DIY Kit"
    Buy Best 3D Printer, 3D Printers for Sale at Best Prices

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are still looking... Tevo tarantula, 200 x 200mm table around $250 great for a beginner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Howdy,

If you are still looking, I watched a fellow (JPL/CalTech engineer) on a weekend designing and fabricating a deformable LED contact holder using one of these "Bukito" 3D Printers. He is one several customers who hang-out (via scheduled 'Meetup' group) on weekends at the (successful KickStarter campaign) DeezMaker shop in Pasadena.

See: Bukito V1.5 Assembled – Deezmaker

These additive printers, unlike many others are very stable, very robust, and can literally be tossed into the back-seat, travel across town, setup on a cafe table and still print accurate without having to expend hours recalibrating to produce useful prints. One of the neato features is the usage of SyncroMesh cable instead of belts.
    See: Synchromesh Cable - 3.81mm pitch – Deezmaker

These printers are very easy to use, just squirt in a standard stool-file (.stl) from 3D CAD program/Slic3er program and it prints, with excellent repeatability.

I'd buy one of these neato cartesian printers (~$800 assembled), but I'm fascinated with the delta Rostock version printers. I am currently machining on my MicroMark Seig X2 mini-mill a 100% home-brew Rostock which I named the 'tron-delta-strapus Hall/Weber/Rostock' printer.

Cheers - sledge hammer
    Last edited by sledge_hammer; 06-05-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: edt: forgot to mention....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I need both for plastic and metal. Which is the best? and cheaper lol

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HelenPayne659 View Post
    I need both for plastic and metal. Which is the best? and cheaper lol
    Metal printers are not cheap.

And you will not find "Best" and "Cheaper" in the same printer.

for plastic, I recommend a Wanhao, Mine is the Duplicator i3 and very reliable, PLA plastic is easiest to print, with low warp.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I myself is looking for a good 3d printers for beginners and this is a great resource they got all the reviews for each brand hope this helps Best 3D Printer Review of 216

16. Likes MartyZero liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Louisiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whatever you do...do NOT go buy a kit from China, seriously. You know that whole "you get what you pay for saying"? Yeah, it is still true.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are looking for a beginner 3d printer that you can play and learn with then check out this review on sub $350 3d printers: Top 5 3D Printers under $35 THAT DON'T SUCK - 217 - YouTube

As for slicing programs to generate g-code, I highly recommend Simplify3D. It's $150 but is well worth the price if you are planning to stick with 3d printing.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would recommend a Dremel too. The public libraries near where I live have different Dremel models for public use. They have never failed me yet and never seem to be out of service.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will You need Aluminum To bulid the printer's Frame? My wahtsapp: +86 15841249643