Markforged Metal Printer- Thoughts/Information?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Markforged Metal Printer- Thoughts/Information?

I see that Markforged now has a metal printer available using a plastic binder in the powder and a post-build sinter process. They are saying "99.7% dense" final products, and roughly 0.002" min layer heights, though I would think the washing/baking of the binder would leave parts very porous. They talk about A2 and Inconel-625 as available material, which seems pretty high end.

I am asking for further information, but does anyone have any experience or feedback with Markforged metal printing? They don't seem to specify exact system price, but their 'ROI' tool hints at a sub $250k system price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The parts shrink when sintered, does that give you a clue as to how they achieve the density?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shrinkage is an issue across any additive manufacturing application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylad View Post
    Shrinkage is an issue across any additive manufacturing application.
    Investigate sintering, there was a similar, but probably smaller, shrinkage feature with pressed powder sintered manufacturing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The printer is about $100K, but you also need the sintering oven and debinder, so it gets close to $200K. They claim to handle the shrinkage by printing a sample part, then 3D digitizing the result, then making corrections on the second one. They have a competitor, Desktop Metal, a little cheaper. The samples depicted in their respective websites make it look like MarkForged has better resolution and motion control, but MarkForged also has very slick marketing so who knows. For a short time, MarkForged was running a promo, buy a meta printer get a carbon printer free. So maybe the uptake isn't quite meeting their expectations? Their carbon printer looks pretty cool though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will say that I've been extremely impressed with Markforged's plastic 3D printers. My company bought one and it was so good we bought another and are considering a third. I haven't tried their metal 3d printer but as a company they make one great product and I wouldn't be surprised if their metal printer was good as well.