What's new
What's new

OT, sort of- 3D printing enters the nuclear age.

That's the one thing some higher end customers care about additive manufacturing for - expedited lead times for replacement parts.

It seems that the only variable they will be testing is if there will be any detrimental effects due to being irradiated. I don't know anything about radiation but it'd be interesting to know if there are anticipated problems, or if they are just going through the formalities of testing to ensure there are no unforeseen problems.

Let's hope that the "texting whilst driving" young engineers do actually do their "due diligence"
before declaring the process a success.

As of late I am seeing way too much flippant indifference ("it's not a problem")
and general lack of diligence ("I ran the simulation on my I-phone using material allowables I found on u-tube") with the younger engineers, domestic as well as foreign.

"Oops I dropped a zero, no problem, fixed it all up now"

Radiation can change the alloy by transmuting one metal to another. Over a long service period it seems that could be important. BTW, that is how Lise Meitner first calculated the energy of fission, the famous E=MC squared. Otto Hahn made very accurate measurements of fission products and found that they did not quite add up. Meitner calculated the differences and realized that they were going up as energy. Being a woman and Jewish, she never got the recognition she deserved.

Bill

Back