What's new
What's new

Prosumer Printer makergear M2 Or ultimaker 2

Lupuscorp

Plastic
Let me start by saying tere are many printers out there that I like. These two offer some of the best features for their respective price and both fall into the specs that I am looking for.
What I want to know or hear are reviews from people who own these and have used them quite a bit.
Please mention your experience with them and pros/cons.

Specifically maker gear 2 and ultimaker 2

Thanks!

Ps this is how I got it down to the two
Multiple material printing
Heated platform
High res
Good components
Solid construction (rigid)
Easy to set zero point
Repeatable
Good organic shape printing res
Possibility for 2 extruder upgrade

Ultimaker 2
Con
Seems to have feeder issues (set screw)
Pro
Lighting
Design
Ui
Software
Chamber
Removable glass platform
Dual fan in te perfect area
Fast

Maker gear 2
Con
No enclosure
No lighting

Pro
Very reliable
Amazing customer service
Cheaper
Most rigid frame
Clean look
Replacement parts easily available

As for materials I'll be using both abs and pla
My primary use will be prototyping parts and seeing how they feel before doing all the work on cam and to make fixtures and stuff for something I might not like (cnc)
I'm an industrial engineer with shop access to 5axos machines mills and lathes.
Most everything will be designed in creo 2 (PROE)

Thanks !!

Best I can offer is my friends company has three of the Ultimaker 2. They seem to like them a lot. I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Why are you locked in on these two companies? Do you know people who have both?

When you say "amazing customer service" or you referring to the sales team or the actual "technical servicing team"?

I ask because I know these two companies seem to be some of the most well known but they have their issues.

I've been printing with the original Ultimaker for almost two years and I have significant experience printing in a variety of materials (ABS, PLA, nylon). I print many prototype parts for the company that I half-own before we commit to injection molds. I don't print trinkets and garden gnomes. I often use a home brew heated bed and/or heated build chamber, when appropriate (both for ABS/heated bed only for PLA). Although I do not have an Ultimaker 2, I am quite familiar with it from my contacts with other users. If I had a UM2 (and I may buy one someday) I'd hang a Bertho style UM1 feeder on it or make one of improved feeders (perhaps with a very large hobbed drive bolt or a counter rotating dual feed), if for no other reason that the UM 2 can't be manuually force-fed filament from below and advanced to prime and clear jams. For ABS, which requires higher feed pressures than PLA or nylon, the more powerful drive mechamism would be useful when fast printing is desired. I do not know of any commercial printer that has optimized their feeder, but most of them don't print all that well at UM-capable speeds.

There is no "Apple" type of company in the business. Things often do not "just work." It's a very immature industry at the consumer/hobby level and customer support is often abysmal from the also-rans in the biz. Ultimaking Ltd. is pretty good and they have a top tier design. I highly recommend the UM--original ot UM2. I'm far from an expert machinist but I always tell people that I learned how to run a mill and lathe faster than I learned how to run a 3D printer!

Last edited:

Back