This steel 3d printing machine makes machinists obsolete. Goodbye machinists! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Umm, the parts to make that machine... were they printed, or machined?

Just checkin'.
    Chip

2. Likes KilrB, Spyderedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Umm, the parts to make that machine... were they printed, or machined?

Just checkin'.
    Chip
    Kind of a chicken/egg thing ain't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Smalls View Post
    Kind of a chicken/egg thing ain't it?
    Nah, even for crappy looking parts like those the machine to print them would have to be assembled with machined parts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No Way! This can't be for real? It does look like pottery. Ha!Ha!

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is good news.. Hoping to retire in a few years... Might just buy my customers each a 3K machine so they will let me retire...

7. Likes apoc_101, lowCountryCamo liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy a new Okuma or buy 40 of these... they could self replicate!

A whole shop full of metallic self-replicating migwire dogshittery... I'll be rich!

9. Likes Oldwrench, lowCountryCamo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Smalls View Post
    I don't like the term subtractive machinist! It makes me feel somehow "less than", and I am deeply offended. I think we need to come up with a politically correct alternative, any suggestions? Hopefully, it will be a really long phrase that we can then turn into a cool acronym.
    Your are an value additive machinist. What you are adding is your skill to make a useful product out of something of low value.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thread is the equivalent of a crank-yankers phone call. Some wiseass is posing as a high school kid just to get some well-meaning guy to waste time trying to clue him in. Very well thought out though, the language is authentically childlike. But the dead giveaway is, he lays the stupidity on just a bit too thick for it to be real.

Seriously, think about this. A three-dollar hand knob where money is supposedly saved in production by building up the rough shape with MIG wire? That is a parody on additive machining, the Saturday Night Live version of PM: "HeeeeYAH! Samurai machinist!"

12. Likes jCandlish, apoc_101, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Note the similarity...

w3rev.jpg

Chip -- in before the lock.

14. Likes TheOldCar, El Mustachio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinkin maybe some dog poop paper weights to hand out as
    Christmas gifts

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith3322 View Post
    This doesn't have anything to do with investment casting. Please make logical arguments.

Attachment 184776
    I was wrong; I thought the object was a hand knob formed like a turd, but it's obviously a sprocket formed like a turd. But thank you: adding the Ghandi reference makes it easy to visualize someone squatting in the dirt making these parts.

17. Likes lowCountryCamo, Gobo, wesrice liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the time it takes to make that ugly pile I could've made 10 nice ones on our Mill-turn. Maybe 5 if I had to post op on a Bridgeport. Where's the cost savings again? Oh wait it's "new technology" so it must be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    ...adding the Ghandi reference makes it easy to visualize someone squatting in the dirt making these parts.
    Way too good for a plain "Like". But now you gotta come and clean my screen for me...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just thought I would let you know so you can start training and equipping your shop with these machines, or looking for another line of work.
    Sorry about your screen but this guy has presented us with entirely too many opporunities and I want to contribute before it gets locked. In trying to figure out why he hates machinists, you have to consider the possibility of early-childhood imprinting, like maybe a machinist would stop by during the day and his mom told him to call the guy "Uncle" whatever. Or perhaps in high school he was somehow humiliated in metal shop, or phys ed...can't imagine any likely scenarios for that, can we? Then again, maybe his feelings of resentment are of more recent origin (Google "cuckold meme" or "cuckold captions" and just assume there's a machinist in the driver's seat, as it were, heh, heh). Further conjecture on this subject would be welcome from any machinst who was offended by his snark-laden post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Sorry about your screen...
    It's OK, sometimes it doesn't take much...

...like maybe a machinist would stop by during the day and his mom told him to call the guy "Uncle" whatever...
    Nearly got me again...........but I was ready for you this time...

...Further conjecture on this subject would be welcome from any machinst who was offended by his snark-laden post...
    Yeah, I'm sure it was the "attitude" that got everybody worked up. The technology in question may well have merit--probably does. Whether it will find a big hole to fill or a little niche remains to be seen but, as I said in a previous post, it will end up being another tool in the box...

22. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As an aside from this guy's shitty attitude, this machining process would be useful in 1 off molds that could benefit from internal cooling channels, depending on the geometry of the mold, this may not be doable (cost & time effective, we all know anything can be machined with the right machine and skilled machinist) using purely subtractive machining (Hate that term...)

On the other hand it seems like jsmith just has it out for machinists everywhere, watch out guys, he might get a shop full of these things and put you all out of jobs!

Although you may be able to make a pretty penny selling these as the shit emojies

24. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That machine is just what I need to build my over unity strings motor. Every machinist I've asked to partner with me has refused, calling me mean names like crackpot, idiot and douchelord. Now, finally, my vision of saving humanity from itself will become reality. Then who will be the douchelord?

26. Likes apoc_101, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[quote=chip chester;2870423]note the similarity...

w3rev.jpg

chip -- in before

ROFL!!!!!!!

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cellardoor7 View Post
    That machine is just what I need to build my over unity strings motor. Every machinist I've asked to partner with me has refused, calling me mean names like crackpot, idiot and douchelord. Now, finally, my vision of saving humanity from itself will become reality. Then who will be the douchelord?
    typical douchelord concept

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the early 1970s when the original Millermatic 35 (short-circuiting MIG) began to find its way into welding shops I remember looking at a motorized fixture with its rotary ground and wondering whether you could use it like a potter's wheel. So of course I had to try it. I did find out the trick to building up a cylinder was to make it large enough. Anything smaller than about 3 inches diameter, the heat would soak it and it would collapse. But at that point it was quite demonstrably possible, if not of any immediately obvious value. I had it about an inch tall when the boss came out and yelled at me for wasting wire.

Since all we had in those days was body-shop wire and CO2, the interior of the thing I was building would have been about half filled with spatter, but--come to think of it--since that so clearly anticipates the support matrix used by so many of today's 3D printers, I think I should rightly get credit for inventing the process. Probably my claim to Douchelord-of-the-Realm could be contested by a thousand other guys, because (considering MIG was such a new toy--a virtual squirt gun) I bet more welders tried that trick than didn't. But what would they have produced? Well, how about an impossibly crude rendition of a tubular shape made by building up a weld deposit, and looking an awful lot like the OP's pictures. How can something that was an obvious waste of wire in 1973 have somehow assumed value today? I contend that it has not, and I think it reasonable to assume that it will not.

30. Likes sfriedberg, AD Design, HuFlungDung, SIP6A liked this post