What's new
What's new

3d printing for sand castings

jclyma

Plastic
I started a new job a few weeks ago at a company that uses additive manufacturing to create casting molds from sand without tooling. Curios if it is known out there that besides metal and plastics you can also print sand molds. It is fun to be able to create castings that need no draft

Yeah it's a really cool thing. I learned about them after we did some testing on using plain old zcorp material and casting aluminum in it. Worked out really well. Then we realized there were machines and materials specifically meant for casting into.

I started a new job a few weeks ago at a company that uses additive manufacturing to create casting molds from sand without tooling. Curios if it is known out there that besides metal and plastics you can also print sand molds. It is fun to be able to create castings that need no draft

What machines are you using, I know of two manufacturers but I am sure there are others. Also the forum rules state you must post your location, if you dont you will be subject to being cut off.

Charles

Thanks Charles,
I want to make it clear that I am not trying to sell anything or promote the company that I work for. Below is a link to a video that shows exactly how it works.
I have been in the casting industry in S.E. Michigan for 27 years and have experience designing and casting molds using this process for Ford in the past. I am having fun with the opportunity to create castings that would be nearly impossible using traditional sand casting or permanent molds. A similar process is used for investment casting by creating a part from wax using the same type of technology.

Sand | ExOne

my link takes you to the page then click on "Sand printing process"

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I know how it works I just wondered whos equipment was chosen. I have not been in the industry as long as you, in fact I worked at an Iron foundry in NC for only two years but I learned a lot there and think this technology really has a place in the future. Glad to know you are in it and willing to share with us a bit.

Is the company you are working for in a position to do work for small orders? I would be happy to speak to you about it more, I will send you a private message.

Charles

It's been pretty well known since at least 2002 when I funded a race engine project that bought one to make flasks for casting very low production (think 4 parts in a run) engine parts. Big win when things like oil pump impellors have to be revved with every engine build.

In fact, until the full metal sintering machines became commercially available (5 years ago?) it seemed that printing flasks for castings was by far the greatest practical use for 3D printing.

Can the ExOne process makes flasks suitable for cast iron, steel, etc.?

Yes ExOne molds are used for any material I know if that can be cast in sand. They have a couple media options for printing molds depending on the geometry and material. When I get the opportunity I will take some pictures, right now all the casting and printing work in our facility is sensitive and not something I am allowed to share. If the work load lightens I have plans to do some testing with stuff like sprues and gating shapes that reduce turbulence that we cannot make with traditional molding.
Jeff

Back