What's new
What's new

Carbon3D

That video was 7X speed...so it's not that fast...but yeah, faster than traditional printing by a long way.

They don't tell you the youtube video is 7x sped up (or maybe they do?). Really it is negligibly faster than the Form1 already on the market.

There is a box saying "7x speed" in the lower left of the video. What blows my mind is how smooth and solid the parts are, plus the materials they can use. I have never paid much attention to 3d printing because of the quality and strength of the parts being made, but this looks to me like a game changer. These parts look more like a cast or injection molded part.

Something about adding oxygen to SLA? I am not sure?

The problem with bottom-up resin printing is that the hardenned resin sticks to the bottom of the vat. They prevent this by preventing the resin from hardenning for that 2um at the bottom of the vat. It's elegantly simple and allows continuous printing. I looked into continuous printing when designing a top-down printer, but surface tension makes that difficult.

There is a box saying "7x speed" in the lower left of the video. What blows my mind is how smooth and solid the parts are, plus the materials they can use. I have never paid much attention to 3d printing because of the quality and strength of the parts being made, but this looks to me like a game changer. These parts look more like a cast or injection molded part.

The surface finishes are great, but SLA parts are generally quite brittle and FDM is considered to have better mechanical properties.

The resins are also terrifyingly expensive.

Wow. They have been working on better equipment in the stealth mode the article said. This has always been my belief that innovations and great leaps in this field will be coming. It is the guys who quietly and yes with quiet lips which are tight that come up with this and are not bothered with five other guys claiming to have the same advance and that it belongs to each one of them. Arguments could ensue. Amazing just the same, we live in amazing times also.

I would like to see several new things come out many many things as I think maybe now is the time to expect them when this is really just starting. Once something comes out which is solid then the investment will go where the advantage is. Then new and improved will come along. I hope to not see a lot of fights about patents which can hold the new stuff up.

Back