What's new
What's new

Did you guys see this from footwear industry?

That is pretty cool . . . I can’t say what I have seen in the Portland footwear innovation arena, but this is just the beginning of some significant innovations in the use of 3D printing in the footwear industry.

It's not quite ready for prime time in my experience. The resin technology from Carbon3D is amazing but they really struggle to print any part to the correct size on the first try. It can be tuned in but the first part always being a throw away is annoying.

It's not quite ready for prime time in my experience. The resin technology from Carbon3D is amazing but they really struggle to print any part to the correct size on the first try. It can be tuned in but the first part always being a throw away is annoying.

Dimensional accuracy has been a challenge for me on my metal framed Prusa i3. I've spent hours and hours calibrating it. Although it's FDM and not resin type, so I'm not sure if one it easier than the other.

I find it interesting that the 3D printing world is now shifting their focus to making the machines more user friendly. I just don't understand how they can overcome the nuances with printing something, because so many things need to be considered when generating the g code. Like layer orientation for a structural part, dimensional compensations for CTQ features, etc. Seems like there is a need software that can take a model, get some input from the user on basic usage, and generate a best fit type of parameters. But you still are well beyond grandma being able to print a replacement part for her vacuum (well, unless Dyson releases all their CAD to their customers!)

I guess it would make more sense to have specific purpose printers, like this shoe one, where it does one general shape/thing really well, but can't print whatever you want.

Vans Shoes offers customization right now which is great. I may be wrong but I think customization will be a big thing across all clothing branches as the price of 3D printing comes down.

I used to get custom Vans back in the mid 80s. I got custom made work boots then too.
Custom made shoes are nothing new- CHEAP custom made shoes would be.
But if you have priced Addidas lately, you would realize that the custom ones will cost even more than the regular ones, which are often in the 200 to 300 dollar range for running shoes. I was in Nordstrom this weekend, there are lots of fancy sneakers for 500 and up. and kids buy em as fast as they make em. One of my kids probably has 20 pairs of running shoes, although he is a saavy shopper, and seldom pays more than a hundred.

Still, like most 3D printed things, I think it will be a couple of decades before its anything but luxury.
I saw a nice pair of 3D printed eyeglass frames last week- I liked em, till I heard the $800 price, without lenses.

But if you have priced Addidas lately, you would realize that the custom ones will cost even more than the regular ones, which are often in the 200 to 300 dollar range for running shoes. I was in Nordstrom this weekend, there are lots of fancy sneakers for 500 and up. and kids buy em as fast as they make em. .

imo this is example of the stupid people being taken advantage of. Those shoes cost a couple of bucks to make and the demand is almost entirely marketing created. You know you're being had when your running shoes have a model year. There are people out there who can barely afford to live, but the shoe companies have them convinced they need these, despite having a closet full. I'm for free enterprise, but this shoe stuff doesn't fit properly, feels wrong; its too blatantly taking advantage of those short on wits

Back