What's new
What's new

Keypad Membrane Replacement - Alternate solution?

TimD

Hot Rolled
I have two Enshu mills that use a membrane keypad for the machine side controls. They have Yasnac controls, those membranes are fine. Enshu does not have replacements, took several weeks for them to query Japan and they only thing they came up with was for me to pay for new molds.

So anyone have ideas on what to do to protect the electronics? Are there places out there that can make them custom in small quantities? When I bought the machines there was one replacement and I used that on one machine it was self adhesive just like the Fanuc membranes I've replaced.

Edit:

Just in case someone reads this that has spare Enshu parts. The Enshu PN is AMN1510BAC.

Attachments

• Picture 077.jpg
    Picture 077.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 558
Maybe you could check around your local print shops.Maybe they have a suitable material or one you supply they can silk screen to.

You could lay tracing paper over the control and rub it lightly with a charcoal pencil to get a pattern for them to scale to and copy onto a membrane material that you or they can come up with.If it is possible and not to much money I would do at least 4 of them so you have a back up for a while.

I found a place that could make a small run of them. Sounds like it was going to have to be thermoformed and screen printed due to the button height. They were very helpful and good to work with.
Butler Technologies | Innovative & Creative Printing Solutions

Didn't get far enough along with them to discuss pricing. I was working on getting them some dimensions and in the process discovered that the Enshu parts guy was looking up the wrong/obsolete PN. Not sure why they weren't able to figure that out on their own. So Enshu does have them instock, $496 each :eek: I should have it in a couple of days. I think the last time I ordered a Fanuc membrane it was less than $100? I have to assume that it would still be cheaper than a custom.

Edit: I guess I wouldn't mind the price so much if they had been able to find the solution right away. I first contacted them July 21st 2011. After asking several times I was told on Oct 21st that getting one from Enshu would be a no go. Now I find out they do have a solution?!?

Jesus christ on a bike. July 21st to today is like 6 months. For a part... :toetap:

Instead of trying to trace it, I would see if you can lay it on a flatbed scanner. Surprisingly, some of them take pretty good scans on objects that aren't quite flat.

Jesus christ on a bike. July 21st to today is like 6 months. For a part... :toetap:

Instead of trying to trace it, I would see if you can lay it on a flatbed scanner. Surprisingly, some of them take pretty good scans on objects that aren't quite flat.

Well they did give up in Oct. so I guess that was three months to regret on it. I put it on the back burner until this week. I guess all's well that ends well?

Back