What's new
What's new

Looking for Production SLA machine

cosmos_275

Hot Rolled
Can anyone recommend a company that makes production SLA machines? Google searches are flooded with hobby machines.

I need .002" resolution and a machine that can run all day making parts.

Any leads are appreciated. Thanks

Can anyone recommend a company that makes production SLA machines? Google searches are flooded with hobby machines.
I need .002" resolution and a machine that can run all day making parts.
Any leads are appreciated. Thanks

Well, if one is ready to put on their big boy pants, I have always had good experiences and reliability with 3D Systems' SLA machines. They are very capable and -fairly- reliable. The point where I disagree with their practices is hobbling the machine to use only their own resins and some of their pricing practices. Good luck.

Hi Cosmos,

Are you looking for 0.002" with regards to minimum feature sizes, or with regards to holding a part within dimensional tolerances?

I've found that if you're not ready to drop the REALLY big bucks (High six-figures to seven-figures for one machine + support equipment), and live with the design restrictions of solid-supported parts, true production SLA machines (Like 3DS's ProX 950) may not work for you. Plus, the entire process can be pretty messy. SLA's are still capable of producing the most accurate parts before post-processing when compared to other polymers processes, to my knowledge.

Have you looked into material deposition processes like jetting "SLA" machines? The 3DS ProJet series, or the ObJet Connex machines are far easier to live with on a daily basis. If you're looking for the best bang-for-the-buck, but don't need excruciatingly high dimensional accuracy across distances greater than say,~6in., then you should look into a ProJet 2500. I've worked with a Beta-Test model at my University, and I have to say, it's a DREAM to deal with on a day-to-day basis, compared to SLA machines (pro-sumer or professional level). If I had the money, I'd buy one for myself in a heartbeat. If I'm not mistaken, they're still under $100K. Durable as can be too.

The support material can be a little funny (a messy wax, that melts off at nearly the same temperature as the polymer begins to soften and warp... so you have to be careful), so invest in the 3DS-brand post-processing equipment, or even go for better.

My advice would be to check-out those manufacturers' websites, download some brochures, talk to some salespeople, and see what you think. Honestly, there are a lot of parameters that go into determining a printed part's final dimensional accuracy, so having that extensive dialogue with the guys who know the machines best is probably the best way to find the right machine for you.

Hope that helps! Others, please chime in on my comments as well.

Last edited:

Back