What's new
What's new

Shopping for Large Capacity Entry Level Printer

rhoward

Hot Rolled
Okay so don't mean to beat a dead horse if I am, but there have become so many 3D printers on the market for home use that I don't know which way to jump. What I want is a somewhat larger unit, like maybe 12 X 12 X 12" capacity but I am interested in accuracy, ease of use, and the ability to handle a variety of plastics. So heated bed, rigid frame, excellent facility in controls and open source. I do not want a machine that has proprietary controls or software and will accept off-the-self rolls of feed material. I don't mind assembling a kit.

And it must be a bargain as well. I have been looking at the "Big Box" from the UK which is a bit over my budget and also the PrintrBot Metal Plus as it has a nice metal frame but there are so many others out there. Ideally it might cost $500 but if I can get a lot more machine for 2X that I will go for it. And overall size or noise is not important as I will not be running this thing on a desktop or in a corner of my living room. And I might as well say too that my models will be created using Solid Works or possibly Rhino if that makes any difference. My initial intent is to make patterns used for investment metal casting.

Thanks for any and all help.

Randy

I doubt one exists .. anywhere near your goals.

Let us know if you find something.

But good, large and cheap dont go together.

Good components to make one cost about 2000$.
Just like a tiny cnc mill, only non-contact.

Okay so don't mean to beat a dead horse if I am, but there have become so many 3D printers on the market for home use that I don't know which way to jump. What I want is a somewhat larger unit, like maybe 12 X 12 X 12" capacity but I am interested in accuracy, ease of use, and the ability to handle a variety of plastics. So heated bed, rigid frame, excellent facility in controls and open source. I do not want a machine that has proprietary controls or software and will accept off-the-self rolls of feed material. I don't mind assembling a kit.

And it must be a bargain as well. I have been looking at the "Big Box" from the UK which is a bit over my budget and also the PrintrBot Metal Plus as it has a nice metal frame but there are so many others out there. Ideally it might cost $500 but if I can get a lot more machine for 2X that I will go for it. And overall size or noise is not important as I will not be running this thing on a desktop or in a corner of my living room. And I might as well say too that my models will be created using Solid Works or possibly Rhino if that makes any difference. My initial intent is to make patterns used for investment metal casting.

Thanks for any and all help.

Randy

Hi Randy,

It would seem your best bet would be to stick with a RepRap printer to get to your cost goals for the print volume you are after. Something off of this list possibly, RepRap Machines - RepRapWiki

Another option potentially would be to copy a Lulzbot Taz machine. I have 2 Lulzbot machines and love them however I bought mine pre-build. Their machines are open sourced and the main frames are build via 80/20 profile. Have a look if you want at Home | LulzBot

The Taz machines are getting close to your build size, 11.7in x 10.8in x 9.8in. A place to get parts for a Taz is 3D Printer Parts and all the open sourced build instructions are on the Lulzbot website.

Hate to sound like a sales man but I cant speak on other printers as I've only run the ones I have and so I feel confident I can relay the quality of them to you.

Cheers
Chris,

12x12x12 is huge for an fdm hobby printer. $500 isn't going go come close for anything with a 'factory control'. I've said it before but I still think the best bang for the buck is the Wanhao D5. You'll have to do work to the print to prep for casting but it could get you closer than starting from scratch.

12x12x12 is huge for an fdm hobby printer. $500 isn't going go come close for anything with a 'factory control'. I've said it before but I still think the best bang for the buck is the Wanhao D5. You'll have to do work to the print to prep for casting but it could get you closer than starting from scratch.

So you have printed parts with the Wanhao D5? For the price and capacity it seems a pretty good deal. How do the parts turn out? Is detail fine and consistent?

Randy

I own 4 of them. Printed lots of great parts and lots of failures. That's the name of the game with this printer price point. My brother owns a couple as well and is moving to the resin printers as he requires finer detail and less prep work before his product is ready for market. The work area is much smaller though

I doubt one exists .. anywhere near your goals.

Let us know if you find something.

But good, large and cheap dont go together.

Good components to make one cost about 2000$.
Just like a tiny cnc mill, only non-contact.

Just ordered a Rostock Max v2 printer. It has great reviews and a very active support community. And a very large build envelope. It is a kit so price is amazingly low for what you get.

Randy

Just ordered a Rostock Max v2 printer. It has great reviews and a very active support community. And a very large build envelope. It is a kit so price is amazingly low for what you get.

Randy

I have a V1, one of the originals back in the day. It is still chugging along, popping out great prints. You will not regret it.

Back