What's new
What's new

14" Sidney lathe apron question

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello,
I am new to this forum, I just got an older Sidney lathe. I tried to do a couple searches to have my question answered, but I didn't find specific enough information. If this information is already posted somewhere please point me that direction, or give me a hint as to what to search for. It did not come with any information and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the parts of the apron are as labeled in the attached picture? I haven't got the motor back from the shop yet so I haven't got to experiment, but Im guessing #2 is direction of feed for the carriage. Items #1 and #3 can also be seen in the second picture. #3 looks like a button, and #1 seems to be a knurled nob that can be turned maybe, something in the apron clanks when I try to turn it but it stops like it is hitting something
Thank you,
David
apron3.jpg
apron2.jpg

I would think 1 is just a support shaft and is not a control. 2 is the forward and reverse feed and the middle is neutral for when you thread and the upper button is an oil pump. A good guess I would bet. I would think you can buy a manual online by Googling machine Manuals. If I were you I would open every cover and clean everything of dismantle everything. The paint appears as if it has been sitting outside for a while and if so, there is water in the headstock and gear boxes. Rich

#3 possibly engages feed, (I.E., no clutch) to cross slide screw.

Doubtful such an old design would have the oil reservoir necessary for #3 to be an oil pump

Knurled knob is the only apron clutch (right tight engages longitudinal feed)

Thumbnail shows a similar vintage larger (25") Sidney with a lever added to work the "button" for cross feed - it also has "helper" handles installed on feed clutch knob

Attachments

• sidney 007.jpg
    sidney 007.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 186
You are correct! The button is actually a slide-out engagement for the cross fed. The knurled dial spins when the cross feed is active.

To update this thread. The #1 knurled knob is the clutch for the cutting feed, I am not sure if it is missing a part as there was no way to engage it. The knurled knob rotated with the lead screw but didn't connect to the feed mechanism. I noticed the nut inside the knurled knob didn't rotate with the knob...I put a large washer under the nut inside the knurled knob, when the nut was tightened it locked the knurled knob to the shaft inside of it (what the nut was connected to), this allowed the lever arm to engage forward and reverse cutting directions at the FDS rates. To use the threading via Half nut I loosen the nut inside of the knurled knob to disengage the feed mechanism.
Seems like there might/should have been something to turn to activate the connection between the knurled knob and the nut/shaft inside of it...but I can't picture what that would look like.

Old lathes often have cast iron cone clutches for the feed - you twist the knurled knob "right-tight" to engage feed.

They are also VERY OFTEN stuck in the disengaged position

To update this thread. The #1 knurled knob is the clutch for the cutting feed, I am not sure if it is missing a part as there was no way to engage it. The knurled knob rotated with the lead screw but didn't connect to the feed mechanism. I noticed the nut inside the knurled knob didn't rotate with the knob...I put a large washer under the nut inside the knurled knob, when the nut was tightened it locked the knurled knob to the shaft inside of it (what the nut was connected to), this allowed the lever arm to engage forward and reverse cutting directions at the FDS rates. To use the threading via Half nut I loosen the nut inside of the knurled knob to disengage the feed mechanism.
Seems like there might/should have been something to turn to activate the connection between the knurled knob and the nut/shaft inside of it...but I can't picture what that would look like.

Back