What's new
What's new

16" G&E shaper just arrived, needs work.

jpevner

Stainless
Well, a shaper I bought a while ago, is now in the shop. It was one of those wild stories to pick it up. There were two similar machines, but one had a lot of options, and the shaper vise, and a motor. It was a long time before I could get it, and when I got there he had sold the better one already. I wish he had told me, as I would have passed on the incomplete one, but I found out as I got there, and I had rented a pickup truck,and wasn't willing to flush the money. Either way, it is here now and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Most of the scraping seems to be there on the column ways. But I don't see much else anywhere. There don't seem to be any ridges, and I wonder if it was a machine that was not truly finished??? It was an 8 speed war machine, with the war finish tag.

The machine is a 16" universal toolroom. But, no power downfeed or tool lift. I does have power rapids on x. but I don't think it has power Z. that was an option._DSF0219.jpg_DSF0206.jpg_DSF0204.jpg

Everything is kind of wedged up on it. Some water got on the top, and I need to remove the ram. What is the procedure for that?? I have the ram guides off, but am wondering if I have to remove a pin? to lift the ram up with a hoist.

regards,
Jon P.

p.s. here is a picture, I will take better ones later, as I think it will clean up very nicely.

You can see the retainer "gibs" include the dovetail ways. Taking these off will enable lifting of ram, but only a little until "depinned"

Get door off the face of column, crouch down and look up at the link between the ram and the top of the vertical arm - the ram can only go up until link either binds or gets straight up and down

GE may be different with link on bottom of vertical arm

John;

What you call the retainer gibs, I call the "ram guides". These are now off. So, I will need to position the stroke until it is aiming up?. I don't think I can get to the pin from the opening. I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jon P.

Attachments

• _DSF0229.jpg
    _DSF0229.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 201
  • _DSF0230.jpg
    _DSF0230.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 199
Yep - position ram with vertical arm vertical - if that don't make for access, try other positions

May be the ram has to be physically up off the column for access to happen

There is also the possibility the pin thru the column related to bottom end of vertical arm has to be removed in order to get ram high enough to remove upper pin

John;

What you call the retainer gibs, I call the "ram guides". These are now off. So, I will need to position the stroke until it is aiming up?. I don't think I can get to the pin from the opening. I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jon P.

After you get it apart look for surface area where the hold down and rams ran against and they are not worn. Look for scraping. It maybe on the hold downs and not on the ram. It looks dirty and a bit rusty, but looks OK and no scores. Please document everything for us and add lots of pictures. Thanks Rich

I also have a 16" G&E universal tool room shaper that a friend is helping me refurbish. I was lucky enough to get the vise with mine so am ahead of the game there. We haven't removed the ram yet because of other higher priorities projects and work schedules. So I will be paying attention to your posts as you work at getting yours running.

Mine is in pretty good condition and like yours mine had a bit of water that seeped in where you don't want it, hence the disassembly and cleaning. Keep the photos coming and I'll try to run a parallel thread once I get the posting of photos figured out. The photo bucket issue caused me and many others all kinds of problems. What hosting site are you using to post your photos?

Ron

Last edited:
Rich;

I will attempt to document as I go. I didn't put it in the reconditioning forum, because I didn't know if I was going to scrape it.

Ron;
I am looking forward to seeing your thread. What motor do you have on it?? I am just uploading the pics reduce to 33% to PM.

Well, today, I lifted up the ram to get a look underneath. It's so-so. There was scoring on the bottom, but a lot of the scraping was still there. I removed all the rust and crut, and was able to free up the ram positioning screw. I imagine someone ran it without oil, or dirty ways, as that seems to be how these machines get that way, I think that I could/should do operational accuracy tests before measuring the ways? I'll have to look up how to do that on a shaper ram.

But first, I want to free up all the mechanisms, and remove any rust or abrasive grimble. Also, I will need to make sure the lube system works.
I wonder if the ram was hardened and ground, that would explain the lack of scrape marks on it.

Gotta get a motor. Don't have a 1750 rpm one lying around.

Here are some pics:
regards,

Jon P.

Attachments

• _DSF0232.jpg
    _DSF0232.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 167
  • _DSF0231.jpg
    _DSF0231.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 152
Michael;

Thanks for the link, but that is for the later(late 40s) 16 speed. This is the earlier 8 speed. I have never seen a parts diagram for it. The difference is almost entirely in the transmission part.

regards,

Jon P.

Jon P.

My 16" G&E is a later model so the motor information may not be applicable to yours. That being said my motor is 3 hp, 3 phase, 220/440 volts, 8.6/4.3 amps, 60 Hz, 1800 rpm, 213 frame, design B, Code J. Check Surplus Center for a motor, prices are generally good.

Ron

Michael;

I saw that, but was hoping to find it on the web. I'll check my serial number to see if it is in range.

Ron;

Can you please measure the diameter of the motor pulley on your machine. I have a line on a 5hp 1750 184t motor that should work. I'm thinking around 4" for the pulley??

The machine pulley is a four sheave, so I am thinking 5hp isn't too much.I don't even know if they came with a motor installed??

One thing I did get was the bracket support for the table. I have only seen them in pictures, as I think most people lost/chucked them. I'll take a pic.

regards,

Jon P.

I believe that I'd stay with the lower HP motor, a 5hp is better suited for a 20-24 inch from what I remember.
Too much HP can make bad things happen.....................and with a shaper, enough bad things can happen anyway.

Michael;

Thank you so much for those pics. Maybe they should be moved into the manuals subforum for posterity.

Jon P.

Jon P.

My motor pulley is 4.75" and clutch pulley is 9". The clutch rotation direction arrow has a plate next to it that says 790 rpm.

Ron

I have a G & E 16" 8 speed Industrial. It's a war baby from the Navy. Came to me with a 5hp motor. The motor looks original to the machine.

Attachments

• Westinghouse 5hp name plate.jpg
    Westinghouse 5hp name plate.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 73
The industrial was a bit heavier duty. I wound up getting the 5hp, but I will probably only use 2 v-belts out of the four. Now I need to hunt up an appropriate sheave, some more cleaning, and we may have a functioning shaper.

Jon

Back