What's new
What's new

1923 Lodge and Shipley 22" Selective Head - Documentation Needed

BIGMANDAN

Plastic
Hi all. I am new to this site and need some assistance. Does anyone have any manuals, brochures or operating instructions for a 1923 Lodge and Shipley 22" Selective Head lathe - Serial Number 27380. I have this lathe in my machine shop and would like to find some literature on it for our records. Thanks in advance!

John,

Thanks for the help! Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Well....

It does not have much of a fine feed - finest is 88 turns or .011 inches per revolution

My 24 won't go to the top end (312) unless I have ISO 46 (DTE Medium) oil in the Head Stock. Funny how owners of old big lathes think they should have thick gooey gear oil in there

You will have some cool days there now and then - let it poke along in bottom gear for five minutes before going to work. What you can't see is the very closely fitted Babbitt style spindle bearings that have to use that same head stock oil.

The spindle nose is the best threaded design ever built but its really offbeat - with internal threads inside that 9 3/4" diameter just behind the chuck. This 22 has the larger of this Double Spindle Nose design and those threads are 8" - 4
TPI.

Due to the odd spindle nose, don't expect to BUY spindle tooling and screw it on. Its a make it your self or do without deal

We run Shell Turbo T 68 in this lathe as well as in our (3) Victors and our LeBlond. It has served us well over the years. The Lodge and Shipley 22" has ~240" between centers and we can still hold tolerances of +/-0.001 even at "95 years of age". These were some very well built machines. Thanks again for the assistance.

You are entirely welcome

Thumbnails are of the not-very-wimpy innards

Attachments

• DCP_0988.jpg
    DCP_0988.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DCP_0989.jpg
    DCP_0989.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DCP_0990.JPG
    DCP_0990.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 104
  • DCP_0991.jpg
    DCP_0991.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 105
Also ask the folks at Monarch, they support Lodge & Shipley too.
Rebuild Program | Monarch Lathes

I've talked to them several times about older L&S lathes and they've found in the records who bought it new and any repair parts sold for the machine in question, among other details.

Back