What's new
What's new

1927 14" L&S with single handle apron

Mike C.

Diamond
Anybody got one or have any info on this thing? Guy I know has one and has been through it mechanically. It's nice and tight... too tight in one specific area.

There is a single handle (not star wheels like on my lathe)that controls cross feed and long feed. All the way up is freewheeling for manual work. All the way down is long feed and mid position is cross... at least that's how it is supposed to work.

As it is, when the powerfeed is engaged, both long and cross feed pull together. I think it is a clutch that has been improperly assembled or adjusted. It's not so bad on long feed, but it takes a few pounds of pressure on the carriage feed handle to keep it from moving when cross feed is engaged.

This is a 1927 14" machine of an age that falls between my 1918 and a Model A (1929). Any drawings, op manuals, etc...? John Oder? anybody?

Here is what the Feb '26 bulletin 375-226 has to say - so maybe there is a misunderstanding of how it works.

"The cross and longitudinal feeds are driven through multiple plate clutches operated by a lever at the front of the apron. One lever controls both feeds. An upward motion engages the longitudinal feed and a downward motion the cross feed. The arrangement is very easy to operate and it is impossible to engage both feeds at the same time. A single automatic stop for throwing out the length feed can be adjusted at any point on the control rod."

Sounds like sticky clutches or mis-assembly. From the description above, it is plain that no feeding will occur in the middle postion, assuming all is well with the guts.

John

Thanks John. That arrangement would make a LOT more sense from an operators standpoint. As is, you would have to go through the crossfeed position to stop the long feed. That would be a PITA and dangerous in many cases. Sounds like they definitely have something put together wrong there. Any phantom drawings or parts diagram?

This was another of those City auction machines, the same auction my Fosdick radial came from. It is entirely possible that those City idiots "worked" on it in the past and screwed it up 30yrs ago.

Speaking of which... A couple of days ago I took the endbells off the motor for the Fosdick. Those pigs had stuck CHICKEN BONES from lunch in one of the endbells. Also found porkchop bones in the sump... just so you have a frame of reference for the mindset (or lack thereof) of these idiots.

Hi Mike:

No parts breakdown. L&S was a little frugal when it came to parts books. The "parts manual" that came with the mid twenties sales catalog I have is just a few illustrations of parts, no part numbers or anything organized like that. The only apron shown is for the larger machines and it is the antique one with round friction clutch knobs. Interestingly, there were early and late (we have the late) selective heads, which are entirely different.

It is always interesting to see how these old machines were "improved" along the way - like my chain drive feed :D

John

wb, there hasn't been anybody in that shop in the past 40yrs who knew what to do with this lathe. They went home for supper whether it worked or not. They don't give a damned about anything, much less whether it is working when they leave. It is the greatest comglomeration of idiots I have ever seen. They could never survive in a real job.

The latest and greatest #$%^ up was when we gave them our JD riding mower to "fix". Carb was gummed up from sitting, one tire needed to be replaced (even gave them a new one), and a new set of blades needed to be installed. They replaced the tire, but it leaks down. The carb is still so screwed up you have to run it at half choke (I'll have to de-gum and build the carb myself once the summer is over, if it lasts that long), and the blades were installed UPSIDE DOWN. Any 12 yr old could have done a better job.

Turns out somebody over at the city had definitely been into that lathe and that's undoubtedly the problem. These guys probably put it back like they found it, which invariably was wrong. I talked to Dewey this morning and gave him the above. They'll probably have it sorted out in a day or so.

Back