What's new
What's new

Pictures from Maui

collector

Hot Rolled
I was in Maui during spring break and found some heavy metal machine tools at the Maui sugar cane railway shop. The master mechanic/machinist let me poke around and take some pictures. The Niles serial number 20303 and there was a LeBlonde lathe long bed and an odd milling machine which I've seen on this forum that someone has picked up similar to this one.
The picture of the big gear and big rotor shaft look like they came from a sugar cane crushing machine or something.

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

117.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

118.jpg

The gear I did not have a tape with me but I would say it had a 14 inch bore two 2.5 key ways 28 inch 0D and 14inch face .I wounder how much a gear like that would cost now days and how many shops could make it .The rotor square end I would say about 12x12 inch.The milling machine looks like the one Rustywheels has Nichols Horiz funny to never see one befor and now 2 in one forum .The one small over arm got my attention at Maui shop but there was to much stuff around the machine to get the makers name.

The lathe in the very dark picture is a LeBlond "roundhead" Regal, probably a 19".

I suspect that bar in the top of the Kempsmith mill isn't the real overarm; it's just a piece of bar stock stuck in there to use to lift it.

Bruce,

The overarm bar or shaft is the correct bar for the Kempsmith. Take notice of the flat on top at the front end of the bar. This is the flat that the tapered pin in the outboard support wedges against when the you tighten it up to locked it into position.

Roger

When I lived in Hawaii in the 1950s you could still see some of the original narrow gage rail here and there. I haven't been able to find any since. Nice to see that restoration going on. With that wooden box on the end of the lathe it looks like it's been a while since any really long parts have been turned on it :)

Mr Pope, you are amazing!

"Take notice of the flat on top at the front end of the bar. This is the flat that the tapered pin in the outboard support wedges against when the you tighten it up to locked it into position."

The level of detailed expert knowledge available on PM never ceases to amaze me!!!

Now, in the photo of the gear, laying in the junk pile with the gear is what looks like a torch-cut boiler tube sheet. Am I right ?

JRR

Collector,

Thanks for the photos, I really want to look at them, but on dial-up connection after about 5 minutes I have still only seen 2 1/2 photos....can you please edit the images to reduce them to say 800 x 600? Photobucket gives you the options. Just a suggestion.

By the way, there are still many working steam-driven sugar mills in Indonesia. ISSES organised a tour around several mills a couple of years back - they were utterly blown away by the engines being used, big engines driving gear trains etc and lots of them! :) :)

I've got a friend who has a Niles like that. You really have to be careful of the on/off lever (at the right end of the carriage). It's real easy to bump that thing at inopportune times. It ain't got no clutch, either!

Charlie

Back