What's new
What's new

1950's bicycle siren (mechanical)

Mivan

Plastic
Back in the days of antiquity of my youth we had bike sirens that were about the size of a baseball and mounted to the fork of bikes. They had a knurled wheel like a bike generator which when pulled against the moving tire with the attached chain made a pretty audible siren sound. We kids thought they were great shakes, however the St.Pete police didn't agree and soon they were illegal. I would like to make one of these but have been unable to find any information. Hoping that someone on this forum might be able to shed some like on this.

Thanks
Mivan

Those were still available in my 1960's boyhood, and I just recently saw one that may have been NOS (New, Old Stock) at the going-out-of-business sale of a bicycle shop in Metuchen.

So, with any luck, you might be able to find a new one gathering dust in some old bicycle shop. Call all the shops in the phone book, see what they say.

I had one as a kid. We lived on a street that had a nice long hill. I'd pedal as fast as I could, when pull the chain that moved the siren to rub on the tire, Love that sound. It took quite alot of effort to pedal the bike when the siren was on. I can hear it now.

I made a similar one for my old Harley 45, there is an illustration in the parts list which gives the basic design, you could always scale it down for a push bike. Let me know if you would like a scan.
Mark

Persons-Majestic Mfg. Co. used to make this (and many other) accessories for bicycles. There is a fair amount of discussion of these on the bike forums. Ditto on Ebay traffic. Also one for sale on the Detroit Craigslist. Just use your search engine tuned in to "persons-majestic siren" or similar.

Joe in NH

Well after diligent searching I found precisely what I was looking for at JC Whitney. A 12vdc mechanical siren with motor for under $40 shipping included. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Back