What's new
What's new

Check Out His HUGE Lodge & Shipley Lathe Found at HGR

HurleyByrd

Aluminum
I was cruising HGR this morning and they just posted up this massive Lodge and Shipley. They state is has a 44" swing and a 120" C2C. Weight: 16,300. S/N: 33681

20200527093119565_L.jpg

Sort of a Model G

No feed rod is dead giveaway.

From 1893 to at least post WW2 all the really heavy duty L&S used nothing but the lead screw - with its full length key way - driving some almost tough enough apron gearing:D

This machine looks like it has a riser kit installed. Am I right John? I suspect this machine didn't start life at 44".

It does look that way - and it also has a Model X looking head stock - making it a hybrid of old and new

Ordinarily, a "G" will have head stock levers like so

c506_1.JPG

The "G" was 12 speeds, the "X" was 24 speeds

It is. The break is super fresh and clean. I venture to guess HGR did that while loading or unloading. They bust a lot of stuff loading/unloading. We bought our all terrain forklift from them and somehow there forklift driver got a fork tip up in the engine compartment from underneath and broke off the oil filter housing.

HGR also has a Monarch that was probably raised by Monarch, probably rebuilt by them too. I'm thinking that company sent that L&S lathe back to L&S to be rebuilt so a newer yet smaller head stock was put on it since it's in the style of a newer Model X. I see quite a few large lathes at HGR, must have all come from the same company. Might have closed or up-graded.
I wouldn't trust the math to determine spindle thru hole size, scaling up might not work since the head stock is from a smaller size machine.

20200527093119228_L.jpg

Head stock on that L&S looks like a 20 or 25" Model X Head. The 20 and 25" have the 4th lever (lower left side) Don't look like a 25"HD or 32" Std. Model X.
I'm sure there could be some mathematical ratio that can be applied to spindle bore size compared to swing but it will change from one manufacture to another and model to model by the same maker. If spindle bore is important I think it best to get it from the machine manual or measure it. I have the new Model C P&W lathe. The opening at the end of the lathe (opposite the chuck side) looks to be 2" or more but it's an extension. The spindle thru bore is 1-11/16". I've owned quite a few lathes, can't remember which lathes had same spindle thru bore diameter but were larger swing.

Back