What's new
What's new

32" Gould & Eberhardt Shaper Weight

Abom79

Stainless
Can anyone tell me what the actual catalog listed weight of a G&E 32" shaper is? Online searching is giving estimates of 8,500 lbs but I'd love to know for sure if possible.
Different class of forklifts available for lifting depending on what the machine is.

Recall 8000lbs. +/- depending on generation.

If you're thinking that long a stroke, why not a small planer? One of the smaller Rockford's are roughly the same floor space. From what I've seen, rams and the way for them tend to wear quickly on really big shapers.

(But maybe you have a line on a great condition shaper nearly free?)

Lucky7

Recall 8000lbs. +/- depending on generation.

If you're thinking that long a stroke, why not a small planer? One of the smaller Rockford's are roughly the same floor space. From what I've seen, rams and the way for them tend to wear quickly on really big shapers.

(But maybe you have a line on a great condition shaper nearly free?)

Lucky7

They wear quickly on small ones, too. :) Shapers are seldom "accurate". The ram moves up and down with the crank and the bull gear is noisy. A planer is a much better proposal and absent that, a side shaper can produce decent work.

From the Mitts & Merrill G&E Heavy Duty 32" cut sheet.

Box Table Only
7455 Net / 7755 Skid Weight

Universal Table Only
7880 Net / 8180 Skid Weight

Weights include factory 10 HP 1800 RPM motor and electronics.

From the Mitts & Merrill G&E Heavy Duty 32" cut sheet.

Box Table Only
7455 Net / 7755 Skid Weight

Universal Table Only
7880 Net / 8180 Skid Weight

Weights include factory 10 HP 1800 RPM motor and electronics.

Thank you! That's all I was asking for.

Abom,
Have you found a 32 in. G&E? What year if known.
Please post some photos if possible.
I have a 1956 24 in. G&E universal (10 hp) and it is a chunk of iron, but fun to run.
I have enjoyed your videos of your 16 in. shaper working.

Abom,
Have you found a 32 in. G&E? What year if known.
Please post some photos if possible.
I have a 1956 24 in. G&E universal (10 hp) and it is a chunk of iron, but fun to run.
I have enjoyed your videos of your 16 in. shaper working.

I'm unsure of year built. I know nothing about these machines and will have to do some digging. I have a few sources of info though. I believe its of the later vintage.

Here are the only pictures I have of the shaper so far. I will have plenty more this coming weekend. I had quite a few guys step up and volunteer to help Kevin get the shaper moved out of the shop and into the loading area. image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpg

Like it. Power toolhead down feed is nice. As is a mechanical clutch. Not a fan of my G+E's electric clutch. Unless the photographer is 7feet tall the proportions look smaller than a 32". Unless you have a measurement or there's something on the machine saying 32" that I don't see on the photos, I suspect it's a 24". Does this machine have the later chrome ways on the ram? Congrats on a good find!

Regards,
Lucky7

Like it. Power toolhead down feed is nice. As is a mechanical clutch. Not a fan of my G+E's electric clutch. Unless the photographer is 7feet tall the proportions look smaller than a 32". Unless you have a measurement or there's something on the machine saying 32" that I don't see on the photos, I suspect it's a 24". Does this machine have the later chrome ways on the ram? Congrats on a good find!

Regards,
Lucky7

Check Tool Speed Tag.

Can't read it with my crappy moniter. Thanks for correcting me. Even more congrats as a 32" is rare. That also means the vise is the larger version G&E made. I can't lift my smaller G&E vise- hope you have lifting gear or a stronger back!

Regards,
Lucky7

AlexO : What is a side shaper?

JH

It's a shaper where the table is on one side. The rest is more or less similar as functionality is concerned. That does away with the drop of the ram - they're very accurate and some are quite large - can stroke 1-2m. There is a German one quite popular but for the life of me I can't find a pic or remember it's name. Sorry...
One BIG advantage with those is that the part being shaped does not move.

Here !!! I remembered - it's called a Gack

The Ludwig Gack Universal Shaping Machine

DO NOT blame me if you develop a serious need to get one... :)

Can't read it with my crappy moniter. Thanks for correcting me. Even more congrats as a 32" is rare. That also means the vise is the larger version G&E made. I can't lift my smaller G&E vise- hope you have lifting gear or a stronger back!

Regards,
Lucky7

Second picture shows the size casted in the side of the machine, it's hard to read but there at the top shadow line. Don't know why the pictures uploaded to small. :rolleyes5:

Back