What's new
What's new

36" L&S Lathe, Spokane CL...

Id give it a home, sometimes I think its a good thing the scrappy and indian exporters cleared out all the big and good stuff from the uk. The mrs can accept a new machine for my money workshop but not more junk at home!

I always thought these "second generation" (not having shift levers all in a clump) Selective Heads were nearer 1915 for birth date - but that last 1912 patent date reeducates me

Scan thanks to Mike C from 1916. A little over 21K with the 20 ft bed

Note the penciled in boost in input pulley speed - some buyer wanted it to go faster

The face plate is not ordinarily removable - but I don't know if face plate drive is involved (On Edit - yes, face plate drive)

Add scan from October 1925 - they cleverly moved the pinion in and out of engagement with face plate using one of the right hand levers

Attachments

• L&Spg56.jpg
    L&Spg56.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 36 LS Triple.jpg
    36 LS Triple.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 00T0T_fKnCeG2kRTJ_1200x900.jpg
    00T0T_fKnCeG2kRTJ_1200x900.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
A big powerful lathe,I bet it could still hog the metal off, I would think for a mining or quarrying maintenance shop (Or any other similar institution) One could get a large capacity facility for a very little outlay, Nowadays folks do not seem to have the mindset of totally keeping their work in house .

Power feed to the compound, that's pretty modern a feature.

From the 14' export crate dimension in John's scan and their 21' measurement I'm thinking it has an 18 foot bed, which would make it 20,360 lbs
A similar size monarch 36NN came up locally a couple years ago for similar money. Afraid it probably got scrapped.

might have been desperation to keep the business going instead.

I've never heard of such a thing but its certainly not impossible.

Seems to be a feature mostly reserved for larger machines- 24" and up- and was sometimes offered as an option rather than standard equipment. But it's not all that uncommon.

Andy

Back