What's new
What's new

40 year old Caterpillar Towmotor V30B

Tregonissy

Plastic
Hi All,

I'm New on this forum from England, and I have a Caterpillar Towmotor V30B which I'm in the process of refurbishing.

I've sprayed all the main body parts in the original yellow - fitted a new exhaust box, plugs, rotor arm etc. now I need to replace all the fluids.

Can anyone tell me what fluids I need and where they go - there are two chrome topped fillers on one side and another filler which looks like a blow off valve on the top - and this tank is empty.

I don't seem to be able to find any information anywhere on the net - so please help.

Many Thanks - Trevor

Trevor,

Welcome to the forum. I serviced a CAT V80D for many moons. There were lots of configurations so I can't guarantee this info applies your machine. My machine had an automatic transmission and it took 10 weight motor oil...same with all the hydraulics. This is what CAT did, standardized the lube so almost one item covered all the bases on their machines. The differential on my machine was separate from the tranny and it took conventional 80w-90 gear lube.

The engine, which was a Perkins 4 cylinder gas unit took 10w-40. A smaller machine such as yours may have a tranny integral to the differential and be equipped with 'wet' brakes. I believe the manufacturer still called for 10 weight motor oil in this one too. As was recommended above, get a manual and all the fill points and lube specs will be revealed with total accuracy.

I used Chevron Delo 400-10w for the applications calling for this grade...it's an approved oil for CAT. Again, your machine may be totally different, they made lots of stuff so be sure to get a manual.

Stuart

I`ve got a V80E which is an extended version of the V80D.Mine has Perkins diesel engine which takes a 10-40 engine oil.The auto transmission takes straight 10 diesel engine oil as Stuart says but we have always used ISO46 hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system.We do this because most hydraulic systems use ISO32 grade but prefer to use the next grade up which is 46 in older systems to take up wear and minimise leaks.
Phone up Finnings and they will tell you what to use.If you need to buy spares from Caterpillar,sit down and tie yourself into the seat before asking the price.

If the machine is truly forty years old, then it is a Towmotor lift. Cat did not buy Towmotor until later in the seventies. Your V30 has the very common Continental 4 cylinder engine. Parts are available from several sources. Hydraulic and electrical parts are also commonly available. Steering and transmission bits will have to be found in the Cat system. The V30 is a compact and efficient lift. Once repaired, it will give years of dependable service in a shop environment. Regards, Clark

If the machine is truly forty years old, then it is a Towmotor lift. Cat did not buy Towmotor until later in the seventies. Your V30 has the very common Continental 4 cylinder engine. Parts are available from several sources. Hydraulic and electrical parts are also commonly available. Steering and transmission bits will have to be found in the Cat system. The V30 is a compact and efficient lift. Once repaired, it will give years of dependable service in a shop environment. Regards, Clark

Clark,is that the same engine Hyster used to use in big numbers?

Hi Mark- You are correct, the flat head four was used in huge numbers by most manufacturers of material handling machines. Parts are still made and sold to service the gazillions of unit still out there. The Continental six cylinder was the leader in the larger lifts until Perkins took the market. Regards, Clark

The flip top cap looks like the gas tank.
A lot of lifts will still have the gas tank when running on LPG.

K.

Back