What's new
What's new

49' Pacemaker weight

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I went to go look at a shaper that popped up on craigslist down the street from me, didn't end up buying that but he also had a 14x54 pacemaker in the corner. I gave it the once over and ran it through it's gears, it sounded good. The owner said he didn't use it a whole lot in the 25 years hes owned it. I have always wanted one of these and it was cheap, so I bought it and now I have to get it moved.

I searched and searched for manuals online to see if I could find a weight, the best I could come with was a 1943 catalog listing 5200 as the base length weight, with 450 for each additional 2 feet. That would put it at 5650 if it was the same as a 1943 model. The serial on the side read 71498-49 as best I could see. Just trying to find a weight to deal with the unload, I have seen some of the later ones are as heavy as 9k+. 5650 seems a little light, my k&t 2k is like 6100 and this lathe seems like it has more iron. Maybe its just a bigger footprint...

The machine has a taper attachment, quick release tailstock, leadscrew reverse on apron, steady rest, rusty 3 and 4 jaw, 5 hp motor, micrometer stop and the ways look in good shape. I could not tell if they were the chilled iron ways, or tool steel. It was a dark dusty corner and the machine was covered in years of grime. I did notice it's missing the tailstock handle to move the tailstock.

Thanks for any help!

I'm guessing around 5k. I had a 14x54 from 1951, that one you are looking at is a 49 (last numbers of the serial). I remember reading somewhere where they weighed 4500 in 14x30 and the 14x54 was 5000ish. They just seem extremely heavy because of the size of the machine. The later ones got a lot more iron it seems at the 14x30 weighs more than a 14x54. Still a very nice machine. Would get another one in a heartbeat. Oh and it should be pretty obvious on the end of the ways if they are insert ways or not. Check the outer ways as the inside weren't insert ways at this time.

Back