Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperstock View Post
    Update:
    I spoke with the current owner. He has had the machine since 1957, He did his apprenticeship with this machine in his fathers machine shop. He said the building was build around the machine so it will need to be disassembled to move. He said he would help with the disassembly, he has no heavy equipment at location so equipment will need to be delivered in order to make things happen.
    I told him I would want to get his history of the machine so it could stay with the machine. He was glad to hear it wasn't going to get scraped.

I spoke with the auction house and they are going to let me go see it next week.
    Similar to when I got my 8' L.W. Pond VBM.
    To big to go thru the door without taking it apart and the spindle went down into a large pit by several feet.
    This was going to be very expensive if I had the riggers do the work.
    I was lucky. The shop I bought it from had a forklift and would let me use it. I knew the shop and owners.
    I raised the rail just enough so the table and spindle would clear when I raised the table to remove it.
    Locked down the rail, then went up top and removed the elevating drive to get the height down.
    Ran the head over to one side and tilted the head(it has just one head) as far as I could to also get the height down.
    Removed the spindle bearing cap and raised the table up and removed it. The table is held down just by gravity.
    Flipped the table so the spindle was straight up and set it down on blocking.
    Then went down into the pit and swam in oil and chips and removed the spindle end thrust support bracket and lower bearing bracket.
    Then removed the main motor drive for the machine. It was large and was out to the side of the machine.
    Then hauled all the parts away except for the table.
    When the riggers came all they had to do was raise the machine up to put blocking under it to get the forklift under the machine.
    It was a tight turn to get the machine out.
    The riggers loaded it and then the table and away we went.

Rob
    Last edited by Robert Lang; 11-09-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

H. Bickford's plant was located at 1002 Union Ave in Lakeport - "next to the Verizon phone store" as recent as 2012 as described in second link in Post #5

Google Maps

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=13689

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lang View Post
    Similar to when I got my 8' L.W. Pond VBM.
    To big to go thru the door without taking it apart and the spindle went down into a large pit by several feet.
    This was going to be very expensive if I had the riggers do the work.
    I was lucky. ...
    It was a tight turn to get the machine out.
    The riggers loaded it and then the table and away we went.

Rob
    Geez, I sure hope this machine isnt as involved. Todays inspection will give me much more insight into how this will be moved. I am supposed to go see it in about an hour.