What's new
What's new

60x240 McGabe Lathe in Auction

There is a big twin spindle McCabe still in use in the Nippon Paper Mill in Port Angeles, WA. I worked in the mill in the late 1970's and had the pleasure of running it a few times. Don't recall the actual swing of the upper spindle, but we would machine 72 inch diameter paper dryer drum gears in the beast.

Also in the machine shop was a 60 inch American, the old gear head one, not a Pacemaker.

alskdjfhg:

This McCabe double Spindle lathe represents a post 1902 model and is apparently equipped with factory "risers". If so, it will swing only 54 inches over the bed. The 20 foot bed is a medium length bed for McCabe, they offered beds
up to 40 feet in length. A one owner, 48 inch by 40 foot bed McCabe is still installed in the machine shop of the PD mines in Bisbee, Arizona. The lathe in the picture will weigh in at 7 tons. The motor mount is not factory original. My
54 inch by 20 foot McCabe has the original 1905 factory motor mount with a handwheel for adjusting the belt tension. Forum member, locoguy, has one in his shop in Ohia (his pronunciation not mine) and he has declared on several occasions that is NOT user friendly. He has told me that while running the lathe he thinks of me (I like McCabes), I can only conclude that it is a bit catharic for him, similar to sticking pins a doll. One thing we both agree on, McCabes certainly do have their own set of quirks that can be a bit annoying. If you are interested in learning more about this unusual lathe design, the Search feature should turn up a few of the posts on the subject.

Hendeyman

Matt,
Thanks for posting the link.
I have not been watching the Auction notices regularly .
I am always interested in seeing pictures of McCabe lathes since my grandfather and father used to operate a similar one in the pulp mill in Hawkesbury Ontario and posted about it in another thread.
I have saved the picture and will post it here later.
It is sad to see this old mill in East Angus closing like so many others.
Cascades - Press release and news - Cascades announces the end of its Kraft paper operations in East Angus

Here is a picture of it from 1920
A handbook of the Canadian pulp and paper industry

At one time there was a web site showing some of the paper making history displayed in the former railway station .
Vieille Gare du Papier et Chambre de commerce du Haut-St-François - East Angus | Eastern Townships (Quebec)

I have visited that area a few times with friends who followed the railway but not recently.

I’ll be saving some of the other pictures too since some of my work is related to that industry and a customer of mine provided services to that mill.
I also noticed a Smith and Mills 28” shaper among other things at the Auction
Shaper
SMITH&MILLS HORIZONTAL SHAPER WITH 28" STROKE, MAX 120 SPM, S/N N/A (CI)
P.S.
Other McCabe links can be found in post #8 of this thread
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...y/old-machinist-chest-machinist-tools-248098/
Regards,
Jim

Attachments

• 540x360  McCabe Lathe at East Angus.jpg
    540x360 McCabe Lathe at East Angus.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Back