What's new
What's new

Age of G.A. Gray planer based on serial number

old_dave

Stainless
In the machine shop of Knight Foundry here in Sutter Creek we have a Gray planer, flat belt drive from a line shaft. Its serial number is 1466. Anyone have any serial number information that covers this?

My 10th edition of _Serial Number Reference Book_ only goes back to s/n 6315 and the year 1922 for these.

David

In the machine shop of Knight Foundry here in Sutter Creek we have a Gray planer, flat belt drive from a line shaft. Its serial number is 1466. Anyone have any serial number information that covers this?

My 10th edition of _Serial Number Reference Book_ only goes back to s/n 6315 and the year 1922 for these.

David

When one cannot track the machine, track the company and what other people had to say about them.

P. 196- "Endless Novelty: Specialty Production and American Industrialization, 1865-1925", Philip Scranton, found with a Google search, shows Gray had been Superintendent of Niles Tool Works before starting his own firm, 1880. The adoption of William Sellers' spiral gear drive as an 'option' came 1890, independent electric motors advertised 1892 onward, also an 'option', I am confident.

Google also finds line-art you might compare, "Railway Age Gazette" of 1910.

You can take it from there if you have not already read those.

Just a WAG, I'd place your one prior to WWI but perhaps not prior to 1900. The gap in serial # is a rather large one, but there had been a couple of economic downturns, end of the 1800's, and slow sales for new machinery after the war ended.

It may have taken some time to surpass the first 1000 planers, more yet to 6315, if even there were not numbering-system re-starts for version changes.

Also "If even..." the first one sold didn't already start with "1000" to make number sequencing easier, or to separate Gray's planer S/N from Gray's lathe S/N.

Thank you both for your replies. I have notes from about 20 years ago when I was involved in earlier preservation efforts at Knight Foundry. They say the Gray planer dates from the "Early 1900's" but there's no further source given for this information. This machine looks quite like figure 9 in Cope's _American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders_. Cope gives this machine a date of 1899. Having a serial number gives us the possibility of getting a firmer date on our planer. I think Giddings & Lewis took on the G.A. Gray line (parts and information?) but before trying to call them I thought I'd try here first. I'll try posting a photo of our planer when I get the chance.

David

I think that Gray may have been the country's largest planer maker at around the turn of the 20th century, so a lot of serial numbers may have been used. I have no special knowledge of the numbers, however. (Most makers made planers along with something else, gray made only planers.)

I think that Gray may have been the country's largest planer maker at around the turn of the 20th century, so a lot of serial numbers may have been used. I have no special knowledge of the numbers, however. (Most makers made planers along with something else, gray made only planers.)

Depends what era you are discussing, but Gray offered other machines. He initially founded the G. A. Gray company (in 1883) to manufacture lathes. Later, the company offered other equipment, including plano-mills, and vertical and horizontal boring mills.

Andy

Andy, I've just seen your note and I'm sure you are careful about your information, so I must be mistaken. But am I right is stating that their planer line was almost all that the did, in terms of number of machines, sales of machine etc?

(I do know that they made lathes, but they got out of that business almost as soon as they got in, only a couple of years, and in favor of planers, I'm pretty sure.)

GA Gray similar to yours... but earlier?

Hi David,
I recently acquired a 22x22x60 GA Gray metal planer- S/N 219, which is very similar to yours. Mine is shown on page 77 Fig 10 of Cope's American Planer, Shaper and Slotter Builders book which said it was first cataloged in 1899... so thinking mine is from the early 1900's but looking for more info on it as well. Getting it cleaned up and the old 3 hp Wagner motor reinstalled atop an earlier fabbed mount. Mine also came with what I believe is the original vise...
S4010680.jpg vise & motor.jpg

Andy, I've just seen your note and I'm sure you are careful about your information, so I must be mistaken. But am I right is stating that their planer line was almost all that the did, in terms of number of machines, sales of machine etc?

(I do know that they made lathes, but they got out of that business almost as soon as they got in, only a couple of years, and in favor of planers, I'm pretty sure.)

They were certainly best known as a planer manufacturer, and for a time that is all they produced, so planers are what we mostly see from them.

Andy

Gray ad from 1883.
Lathe article from 1881 and 1884.

Rob

Attachments

• Gray ad 1883.jpg
    Gray ad 1883.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 204
  • Gray 1881 1.jpg
    Gray 1881 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Gray 1884 2.jpg
    Gray 1884 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 148
Gray Planer Type Mill SER 9241 Year ?

I have a Gray Planer type mill Serial # 9241 we are trying to find the year on this machine. See photo's

Thank you , Brian

Attachments

• DSC_2845.jpg
    DSC_2845.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_2865.jpg
    DSC_2865.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_2848.jpg
    DSC_2848.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 61
The revival of this thread that I started back in May 2017 led me to review the earlier responses. I see that I did not report that, in fact, I then did call Giddings & Lewis. Their G.A. Gray serial number records did not go back as far as our s/n 1466. In fact I think they went back to 1922, the earliest year for G.A. Gray in the _Serial Number Reference Book_ that I cited earlier.

David

Dave, Is there a website documenting your current restoration efforts for Knight's Mill & Foundry? I got a tour of the foundry probably 25 years ago, really enjoyed it, but the few times I have been up to Sutter Creek in recent years the place looked pretty derelict, broken windows etc.

Back