What's new
What's new

American Industry WW2 Pictures

duckfarmer27

Stainless
Another site that I check occasionally happened to have a link to the Yale photograph archive which has some 170,000 photos from 1935 to 1945 taken by the US Farm Security Administration and the Office of War Information. I have just spent more time than I should have wandering through a couple thousand pictures.

I used the map option - wanted to see if there was much local history on there. It seems that at the end of the Depression they took a couple pictures here in Tioga County, NY. Commented on how stony the ground was - that sure has not changed. I also went through where my Mom had grown up and lived - which included Detroit for a short period of time. Lots of pictures of converting auto and auto related plants to defense work - February 1942 actually pulling presses out, etc.

I'll just post one picture - Keller tracer doing die work. Link to their home page is Photogrammar

Interesting collection that shows how hard life was during the Depression and industry (and social problems)during WW2.

I'm sure you will find some interesting pictures there.

Dale

Detroit Keller.jpg

Bob -

Link to the page that has the Keller picture (60 thumbnails per page, click to expand and get info) is Photogrammar The Keller picture is about half way down that page, with lots of other machine tools, tapping a blast furnace at The Rouge, etc. Only trouble is I can get lost in it for a long time just looking.

My link in first post gets the map of US - click by county and you can find all sorts of things. A mish mash but to me most all interesting - except my home county. Did not need a study to tell me we have rocky fields!

Dale

Back